Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Keith Jackson 183 posts 552 karma points
    Jun 01, 2016 @ 17:54
    Keith Jackson

Upgrade Problems - Umbraco 7.2.8 to 7.4.3

I am trying to upgrade my site from 7.2.8 to the latest version and I keep hitting problems. I like to try and keep pretty up to date but the upgrade process is just so painful.

I am upgrading through NuGet. At first I had an error with Microsoft.Web.Infrastructure. I managed to fix this by manually adding the reference in the web project to the DLL in the NuGet packages folder - dirty but still.

I then started getting errors about User Providers...

'Unable to cast object of type 'umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider' to type 'Umbraco.Core.Security.UmbracoMembershipProviderBase'.'

I found an article relating to this and changed the web.config manually to reflect the suggestions. I then got as far as the login page and I couldn't log in. Umbraco is saying my username or password are invalid.

Can anyone recommend a decent way around this because it's breaking me and has eaten my whole day. I have had to revert to the original build version for now.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 01, 2016 @ 18:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Keith

That indeed does sound terribly frustrating - I'm wondering if you have read the recommendations in this piece of documentation? https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Upgrading/version-specific

I know that nuget should probably handle most of it but perhaps it's a good idea to double check and see if something should be done manually regardless that you're using nuget to handle the heavy lifting.

/Jan

Jun 01, 2016 @ 21:40
    Keith Jackson

Yes, I had that open throughout (and the general one too).

I'm wondering if I'm better off doing a partial upgrade to a part way build before going to the latest version but I'm conscious of how much time that could take and unaware of what key versions to step through.

• Bunnynut 136 posts 318 karma points
    Aug 08, 2016 @ 08:19
    Bunnynut

Hi Keith,

I'm having the same issue as you described above, have you been to resolve this issue? And if so, how? You mentioned that you made some changes to the web.config, could you please post what those changes are exactly?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 08, 2016 @ 09:01
    Keith Jackson

I ended up upgrading step by step and got as far as 7.3.8 before getting stuck again. That's on my TODO list.

The System.Web.Infrastructure DLL reference is, I think, a break in MVC. I believe I fixed this by manually adding the nuget package for this to my project.

The providers change was just a change to my web.config. Not sure what I did but currently the lines look like this...

<membership defaultProvider="UmbracoMembershipProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
            <providers>
                <clear />
                <add name="UmbracoMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.MembersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="8" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" defaultMemberTypeAlias="Member" passwordFormat="Hashed" />
                <add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="Umbraco.Web.Security.Providers.UsersMembershipProvider, Umbraco" minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0" minRequiredPasswordLength="8" useLegacyEncoding="true" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Hashed" />
            </providers>
        </membership>

Hope this helps!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft