Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fabian 68 posts 172 karma points
    Jun 03, 2016 @ 09:12
    Fabian

Create a Data Type of a Complex Type

Hi Everyone,

I have a document type with six tabs, and each tab has identical properties. For example:

Appearance Tab

• Grade Property
    • Comment Property
    • Verdict Property

Performance Tab

• Grade Property
    • Comment Property
    • Verdict Property

and so on. Now my problem is that I have to repeat the same properties for every tab. Is there a way how I can solve this? Like for example extract these common properties in a document type and then somehow include this document type under each tab?

Thanks a lot

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 03, 2016 @ 09:19
    Nik

Hi Fabian,

There are various options available to you here.

The first, and probably easiest, is to use the Archetype package. This allows you to create composite data types which you can use on your documents.

There is also Nested Content which again, allows you to do something similar.

The final option is to create your own completely custom property editor. There are tutorials for this in the documentation section of the site if you decide to venture down this. However an understanding of Angular is a great aid when doing this.

Nik

Jun 03, 2016 @ 09:31
    Fabian

Hi Nik,

Thanks a lot for your reply it is really helpful. Archetype seems to provide what i was looking for.

By nested content I think you mean child items, right?

Thanks again

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jun 03, 2016 @ 10:01
    Nik

Hi Fabian,

Nested content is another plugin, it works in a similar way to archetype from my understanding.

Nik

• Jordan 24 posts 182 karma points
    Jun 03, 2016 @ 09:32
    Jordan

Hey Fabian,

Which version of umbraco are you using?

This is possible in version pre 7.4 and 7.4+ however the method for doing this is slightly different in version before 7.4.

The logic behind this though is to create a doc type for each individual tab you want to add. Then within that doc type you create the tab and the properties you want to appear within the tab.

When creating a new doc type you can then inherit the doc types individually. and deiced which tabs you want to inherit or not, screen shots below:

Pre 7.4:

enter image description here

7.4+: enter image description here

Hope this helps :)

Jun 03, 2016 @ 09:49
    Fabian

Hi Jordan,

Yes I am aware of the composition feature but in my case scenario I want to add the same common document type multiple times in another document type, thus the composition feature will not work in this case.

Still thanks a lot for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft