Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Christoffer Frede 16 posts 126 karma points
    Jun 06, 2016 @ 11:04
    Christoffer Frede

download existing Umbraco site and convert to visual studio web application

hi i'm trying to download an existing live Umbraco site, to a local machine and add controllers in visual studio.

I have opened the site succesfully in webmatrix, but when i try to download it, the sql server database that runs on the server, is used in the local copy of the site, so that editing the umbraco contents will result in editing the live database.

i have tried to make a copy of the sql server database and restored it locally in a SQL Express, but i don't know how to change the connection to the database. I have tried changing the connection string i the web.config, but it fails.

How do i copy an existing umbraco database, move it, and change the connection string in the Umbraco site ?

• Filipe Sousa 43 posts 205 karma points
    Jun 06, 2016 @ 13:19
    Filipe Sousa

Hi Christoffer,

What you are doing is correct. This is the normal process I follow when I'm moving a remote website and run it in my local machine. Unfortunately you didn't tell us what the error is exactly.

I believe you might have the connection string improperly configured. Please make sure that you can connect to the database in Sql Server Management Studio using the same credentials that you use in the web.config file. If you can, then the connection string details are correct and your problem is of some other sort.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft