Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Robert Andersson 4 posts 75 karma points
    Jun 21, 2016 @ 13:41
    Robert Andersson

Translate document types / property editors for multi language Umbraco 7.4.3

I am currently working on an Umbraco 7 project that is in demand of a multi language solution. The administrators will also be in different countries with different levels of English proficiency.

The demand is that the labels and descriptions of the different property editors should be in different languages as well as the rest of the admin UI.

The internet points me to this fancy solution of setting up "heading" in dictionary and then using #heading as label for my property to get it to ask the dictionary for its value. The internet as well as my own tests also say that this isn't working since Umbraco 7.

Is there a way you achieve the same result in the current version?

Oh and Volto, as far as I see, is more for 1-1 translations of content in the same node, we are happy as it is with different nodes for different languages. Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Mohammed BOUTEBEL 64 posts 103 karma points
    Jun 21, 2016 @ 15:22
    Mohammed BOUTEBEL

You have to create some translation files :

In the folder ~/Config/Lang/ you have xml files that contains the backoffice translations. Just copy the file you want to use (for example for french, we chose the file fr.xml), rename it to fr.users.xml and translate the content of the xml nodes.

• Robert Andersson 4 posts 75 karma points
    Jun 21, 2016 @ 15:52
    Robert Andersson

Thank you Mohammed!

I didn't need the backoffice translations at this time though, these languages are already cleared. I needed my own created property editors.

But I did learn something new.

You can indeed give your property the name #yourname and then create a dictionary item called "yourname" and give it a value for all languages. You do however need to log out and then log in again in order for the change to take effect in your content nodes.

So that is a lesson hours in the learning.. :)

• Mohammed BOUTEBEL 64 posts 103 karma points
    Jun 22, 2016 @ 08:59
    Mohammed BOUTEBEL

I know this "little trick" too but thought it was removed since version 7. Thanks !

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft