Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• George Moody 7 posts 77 karma points
    Jun 22, 2016 @ 15:31
    George Moody

Using Umbraco in a tiered application

Is it possible (and sensible) to use Umbraco as the front-end layer of a multi-tiered application? I haven't found much about how this approach would be carried out.

I am aiming to have a Web API containing various pieces of business logic connected to a data layer which contains amongst other things user info.

Umbraco would then use that API to bring back data to display to the user with some interaction between the user data and control of Umbraco content being required (changes to wording styling and potentially page layouts).

To what extent is this doable? Is this model a poor fit for Umbraco?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Jun 22, 2016 @ 22:15
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi George,

I think that Umbraco fit good for such project. Umbraco is very good at managing content and pages, some business logic and data can be anywhere, in your case this is API.

You will have good organized and robust system if Umbraco will work with frontend content.

Thanks,

Alex

Jun 23, 2016 @ 09:23
    George Moody

Hi Alex,

So it would be possible to have members stored on a database accessed via an API and still be able to have less technical administrators customise front end content based on data from the member (such as styling the page differently, changing wording and at a stretch page layout)?

Thanks for the help,

George

• Dallas 132 posts 404 karma points
    Jun 23, 2016 @ 01:03
    Dallas

One of the recent Umbraco Award winners built their site this way using ReactJS and a JSON API.

The Umbraco Rest API is one way to view the Umbraco content using an api.

https://github.com/umbraco/UmbracoRestApi

Dallas

Jun 23, 2016 @ 09:25
    George Moody

Hi Dallas,

While that wasn't quite what I had in mind I do really like the idea of doing something like that. My biggest worry would be how you could still have the non technical administrators controlling the content with such a set up. Do you know how that part of the system works with this model?

Cheers, George

• Dallas 132 posts 404 karma points
    Jun 24, 2016 @ 01:27
    Dallas

George, the setup described still uses the backoffice for all content entry. The non-technical users would be entering content in the Umbraco backoffice just like a traditional Umbraco setup that uses razor templates.

Dallas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft