Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Bijesh Tank 192 posts 420 karma points
    Jun 24, 2016 @ 09:47
    Bijesh Tank

Content or Dictionary items? Need advice

We have a number of Umbraco sites that share the same codebase, and we store a lot validation/confirmation type messages in appsettings and use config transform to replace as necessary. These messages can change from client to client and means that it requires a dev (i.e. me) to make these boring updates. An example like below:

<add key="ContactUsFailMessage" value="Unfortunately your request has been unsuccessful. Please try again or contact us on 020 7xx xxxx />

It also adds a lot of bloat too.

I'm looking to do away with this and move these items into the CMS so it doesn't require any devs to make any of these content updates. I've already started to put some of these in Dictionary but thought I'd get some advice before I fully invest in going down this route.

What would you recommend, store as content or as dictionary items? Whats best for performance?

B.

• Matt Lawrence 5 posts 127 karma points
    Jun 24, 2016 @ 11:15
    Matt Lawrence

I think it would depend partly on your access policy.

If you wanted content editors to have control of these messages then putting them in the dictionary would mean giving them access to the settings section, which might be undesirable.

• Sotiris Filippidis 286 posts 1501 karma points
    Jun 24, 2016 @ 14:59
    Sotiris Filippidis

About that, I noticed that there's a package that deals with dictionary access for editors, letting them edit (but not create or delete) entries without access to the Settings section - it also looks like it has a nice import/export feature. Haven't used it, but it has a good number of downloads so I guess other people have been using it. https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/dictionary-dashboard/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft