Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• yogesh pathak 136 posts 221 karma points
    Jun 27, 2016 @ 10:34
    yogesh pathak

how to restrict Umbraco backoffice user from accessing a content node a its childrens

Hi All, i have two content nodes in my umbraco site , and i have two users to update/add content on respective nodes, i don't first user to access second node and second to user to access first node .

How can i achieve this? i have tried by right clicking on node and setting permissions from Permissions option but its only works for that node only not the child nodes of it.

Thanks

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Jun 27, 2016 @ 10:51
    Simon Dingley

You can lock a user into a certain area of the site so that they don't see the other content. To do that you need to specify the start node for the user by selecting the user from the Users section in the back office and setting the Start Node in Content and the 'Start Node in Media Library' properties and saving.

Simon

Jun 27, 2016 @ 10:54
    Simon Dingley

In answer to your second point I think it would actually be more helpful if the user permissions cascaded but as you have found I don't think they do. You could possibly write a handler which hooks into the save event for a node and sets the permissions on all descendants but that might incur an unwanted overhead on every save action.

• yogesh pathak 136 posts 221 karma points
    Jun 27, 2016 @ 11:47
    yogesh pathak

Hi Smion,

thanks for your reply, yes we can set the start node in user section by which user will be only able to see the dependents of that node in content tree but in the content section we have one another node "repository" which is shared for both the users , so if i will set the start node then user will not be able to access the "repository" node. any idea how to resolve this?

Yogesh

Jun 27, 2016 @ 11:52
    Simon Dingley

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for that at present and don't think it would be a quick fix.

I have previously thought of developing a custom content tree package that would allow you to achieve this as I don't think it's an uncommon requirement if I am honest. The package in my mind would allow you to select nodes to add to a user's content tree and in doing so would need to either replace or filter the standard Umbraco content tree to only show the nodes selected to be visible to that user.

Simon

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft