Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stas 13 posts 63 karma points
    Jun 28, 2016 @ 13:38
    Stas

ExamineIndex crashes application

Hello Dear EveryOne!

I have faced with a problem and looking forward for a help from U.

Details: The other day I got a message from Customer that our site is down. I checked the server and application itself and here is what I found:

• CPU Usage almost 100% for my appPool
    • Memory usage almost 1.5GB (Enable 32-bit application : True)
    • "appcmd list requests" command for my AppPool showed hundreds requests in a queue
    • Every other minute in Application Events : Warning ASP.NET with details:

Exception information: Exception type: OutOfMemoryException Exception message: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown. at System.String.CtorCharArrayStartLength(Char[] value, Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) at Lucene.Net.Index.TermBuffer.ToTerm() at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentTermEnum.Term() at Lucene.Net.Index.TermInfosReader.Get(Term term, Boolean useCache) at Lucene.Net.Index.SegmentTermDocs.Seek(Term term) at Lucene.Net.Search.MultiTermQueryWrapperFilter.TermGenerator.Generate(MultiTermQuery query, IndexReader reader, TermEnum enumerator) at Lucene.Net.Search.MultiTermQueryWrapperFilter.GetDocIdSet(IndexReader reader) at Lucene.Net.Search.ConstantScoreQuery.ConstantScorer..ctor(ConstantScoreQuery enclosingInstance, Similarity similarity, IndexReader reader, Weight w)...

As usual practice - I cleaned App_Data directory and restarted application... in a couple minutes of 100% CPU usage I got the same message with OutOfMemory ....

As quick solution I made ExamineIndex & ExamineSettings as disabled and restarted application - now it alive but without search possibility in backoffice (we don't use Examine in our code at all)

What is the most interesting that we got performance almost 4-5 times faster then it used to be with turned on Examine... and here is my main question - is there any possibility to get Examine back to application - but leave performance as it is now?

Additional details:

• Umbraco 7.2.4 (I'm going to check the application performance and Examine availability after updating to the 7.4.3, but later)
    • Umbraco.config file is almost 30MB
    • I know that we have flaw of optimization in our code, it will be the next step, but even in current situation we got quite rare but heavy requests from 2-3 minutes to 20-30 seconds!

P.S. U are welcome with any kind of additional questions ... Thanks in advance!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jun 28, 2016 @ 16:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi StasN

I suspect that you might be suffering from this issue - Judging from what you describe above http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6338

I just had the same issue on a new server today in fact - The main thing is that it's actually a server bug, which happens to affect Umbraco unfortunately.

It's very well described what should be done etc. on the issue itself.

Hope this helps!

/Jan

Jun 29, 2016 @ 08:06
    Stas

Hello Jan,

Thank U for your time and advice... My investigation in order:

• server doesn't have mentioned updates installed (KB3000850 or KB3007507) and I don't have any idea why :)
    • unfortunately I cleaned App_Data and I can't check Logs once again to clarify if mentioned "Application shutdown" were there...
    • and while "OutOfMemory" exceptions are in Application log , which wasn't mentioned in that issue ...

I think that it's certainly connected to Lucena. Especially when I already had this kind of issue before even with 7.1.4 on 2008 R2 server, with huge amount of nodes in content.

P.S. I feel like it's worth to check updated Umbraco with updated Examine... but again - performance increased considerably...

Oct 05, 2016 @ 20:29
    Stas

Hi Jan,

I have faced with the same performance issue caused my ExamineIndex on another server and this time mentioned updates are installed... but I can't see "Application shutdown. Reason: ConfigurationChange" in logs, as in the ticket.

Do U think it's worth to try to install even if not all conditions are satisfied?

Thanks in advance,

Stas

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft