Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben A 2 posts 76 karma points notactivated
    Jun 29, 2016 @ 01:39
    Ben A

Umbraco backoffice displays blank white page - 404 on script

Hello,

I have been trying to get Umbraco 7.2.5 working on Windows 2012 server running IIS 8.5. The database is hosted on SQL Server 2014.

I am able to load the website/homepage/etc however when attempting to access the backoffice via http://mydomain.com/umbraco I'm getting a blank white screen.

I have tested this across multiple devices and browsers and they all return the same blank white screen.

Using developer tools in Chrome I can see that loading the backoffice is resulting in a 404 error on the following script: /umbraco/Application?umb__rnd=ffffffff8e063945

Here is the relevant code from the page:

<script type="text/javascript">
        var Umbraco = {};
        Umbraco.Sys = {};
        Umbraco.Sys.ServerVariables = {
            "umbracoUrls": {                
                "authenticationApiBaseUrl": "/umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Authentication/",
                "serverVarsJs": '/umbraco/ServerVariables?umb__rnd=ffffffff8e063945'
            },
            "application": {
                "applicationPath" : "/"
            }
        };       
    </script>

<script type="text/javascript" src="lib/rgrove-lazyload/lazyload.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/umbraco/Application?umb__rnd=ffffffff8e063945"></script>

There are no useful/relevant errors being recorded in the Umbraco trace logs, the IIS logs or in the Windows Event Viewer.

This issue occurs on an existing Umbraco site (being migrated from another web server) as well as a new manual installation of Umbraco.

I have confirmed that the app pool user has the necessary permissions as per the Umbraco documentation. I even tested granting "Everyone" full control on the entire installation and it made no difference.

I suspect there is some kind of application-specific redirect that is meant to be happening here, but I don't know enough about Umbraco to know why it would be failing or where to start looking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

• Ben A 2 posts 76 karma points notactivated
    Jul 01, 2016 @ 02:25
    Ben A

Fixed!

I was able to get the manual install working perfectly on Windows 2008 & IIS 7.5 so I decided to perform a side-by-side comparison of the Modules and Handler mappings in IIS.

I found that IIS 8.5 was missing the UrlRoutingModule-4.0 module.

Manually adding this module under IIS > Modules > Add Managed Module allowed me to successfully load the Umbraco backoffice.

I noticed one or two other modules missing so I opted to reinstall ASP.NET 4.5 under IIS.

Unfortunately Windows Server 2012 doesn't allow you to simply run "aspnet_regiis -i" anymore so I had to use the Remove Roles and Features wizard in Server Manager to remove ASP.NET 4.5 and then re-add it. I then restarted IIS.

After this all modules were properly installed and registered in IIS and Umbraco now works properly.

Cheers, Ben

• Streety 358 posts 568 karma points
    Oct 24, 2017 @ 12:00
    Streety

Thanks Ben,

This fix worked for me.

Locally I added a new module.

1) Go to the Root of IIS. 2) Check that UrlRoutingModule is there. If not click Add Managed Module. 3) in the dialog Name it UrlRoutingModule and select "System.Web.UrlMappingsModule" from the drop down. 4)Sstop - Start the IIS server

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft