Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Keith Jackson 183 posts 552 karma points
    Jul 01, 2016 @ 12:01
    Keith Jackson

Umbraco 7.3.8 - Help - Everything is Publishing! (Microsoft Edge)

I have recently upgraded my site to Umbraco 7.3.8 and all has seemed well for a week or so, but I have recently noticed, as I've been writing and stacking up some articles for my site blog, that publishing doesn't seem to work.

It seems that when I save something it ends up getting published - not necessarily immediately, but give it an hour so and it suddenly appears unbidden (pretty much when anything kicks the cache by the looks of it).

This is really worrying, I'm wondering if something has fundamentally changed here. The back end still says that the item is not published, but my code on the front end is finding published content objects for this new data where they previously did not exist.

There appears to be no difference in the IPublishedContent implementation for each of my blog articles to indicate a different publication status, so something is very odd here - any pointers would be helpful, as for now I'm going to have to rely on local editing and database pushing to get my content up, so the CMS becomes somewhat redundant.

ADDITIONAL: I have just tested editing a simple page which doesn't have any complex code behind loading the content and a simple edit instantly became visible - I have not published the change and it is still pending in the back end.

MORE ADDITIONS: This gets weirder and weirder. I have created some test content on my local site instance in Chrome without publishing it. The behaviour is as expected and I can't see my unpublished article. If I create a new piece of content in the back end in Edge and just save it then, despite showing as unpublished in the back end, it is visible on the front end (but only on Edge - not in Chrome or Firefox!!) The front end in Edge is NOT showing the content I created in Chrome.

This odd behaviour goes as far as that the following URL resolves to a content page in Edge but not in Firefox or Chrome...

http://dev.ministryotech.local/blog/edge-article/

While this does not resolve to content anywhere (which makes sense!)...

http://dev.ministryotech.local/blog/chrome-article/

Can anyone tell me what on Earth is going on here?

• Keith Jackson 183 posts 552 karma points
    Jul 01, 2016 @ 14:40
    Keith Jackson

Following a suspicion trail through I tested this on my Windows 10 handset, with Edge on there, and I CANNOT see the article which I can see locally on my dev machine, so it seems that the changes are somehow populated on save to the browser due to some cleverness.

Neither is the article visible if I open an InPrivate window.

This is, however, quite disconcerting!

Any more info on this would be great and perhaps some information in the back end to inform users what to expect (effectively a cached local preview mode).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft