Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Klaas van Steeg 4 posts 74 karma points
    Jul 04, 2016 @ 12:53
    Klaas van Steeg

How to disable Umbraco webservices

I am using Umbraco 7.4.2. From a security scan I got the feedback that the default webservices are available and are a potential security risk. Thus, I like to disable them since I'm not using them anyway. Now from the documentation (https://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Reference/Config/umbracoSettings/) I understand that using the < webservices > tag in the umbracoSettings I can disable the default webservices. However, if I use that, I get the message "Unrecognized element 'webservices'".

Is there another way to disable the webservices?

• [email protected] 408 posts 2137 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 04, 2016 @ 18:46
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi Klaas,

We always lockdown /Umbraco/ to the ip's of our own company and those of the client. By doing that nobody else can go to /Umbraco/ and neither the web services.

Only thing is that you need to have the clients up adresses.

Jeffrey

• Klaas van Steeg 4 posts 74 karma points
    Jul 05, 2016 @ 06:51
    Klaas van Steeg

Hi Jeffrey,

Yes, we were thinking about that too. What we are doing right now is denying all users access to the location umbraco/webservices in the web.config. This does the trick, but I'm still puzzled by the documentation on webservices.

Thanks, Klaas

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15478 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 05, 2016 @ 15:28
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Now you no longer have to be puzzled: I removed that part of the documentation.

The Webservices were discontinued and permanently removed in early version of v6 due to security problems (though an updated, secure version is available if you really need them). http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2013/4/29/security-vulnerability-found-immediate-action-recommended.aspx

So: make sure to delete umbraco.webservices.dll if you still have that in your bin folder, it's completely obsolete and deleting that dll will remove these webservices completely.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft