Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 243 posts 479 karma points
    Jul 05, 2016 @ 16:40
    Meni

Moving my website to a new host - how to?

Hey, using the latest version (v7.4.3), I want to move to a new host - how do I do it? What should I know? It's mean, do I need to install a new blank SQL and then migrate the current with all the content? Or, once I install I'm using the current SQL? If yes, how do I do it? Also, I think the current host provides a .bak file - do I need to ask them for the SQL file? Please advise.

Thanks!

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 05, 2016 @ 16:43
    Nicholas Westby

Here's the short version:

• A ".bak" is a SQL database backup file. You should be able to restore that to your new host, assuming it's using the same or a newer version of SQL Server.
    • You will need to copy all the code and the media files.
    • You will need to change the connection string to the database.
    • You will need change the DNS so the domain points to the new server.
    Jul 05, 2016 @ 18:29
    Meni

Thanks for the answer! So how do I restore the SQL database backup file to the new host? Do I start the installation with a new blank SQL , then restore? Or, first copy the .bak file to the new server then start the installation?

Where in the new server I copy-paste the .bak file? (in the current host I don't have access to the DB, only if I choose to backup, I can download the .bak file from a folder dedicated to this - using winhost right now which is shared, moving to Azure).

Thanks.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Jul 05, 2016 @ 18:48
    Nicholas Westby

That depends on if you are using SQL Azure or if you are running a full version of SQL in an Azure VM.

Assuming SQL Azure, see here: http://stackoverflow.com/a/8557659/2052963

Jul 06, 2016 @ 04:48
    Meni

I think I'm using SQL Azure - just chose the standard SQL in their portal. Also, I'm using their web app, not the VM.

So just to make sure - I first install Umbraco with blank DB, then import? Or first import the old data base, and then install?

1. Apparently the current hosting said they can provide me the .MDF file. Do I need it or the .bak is enough?

Thanks again

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Jul 21, 2016 @ 05:15
    John Palmer

Hi Meni,

To migrate your Umbraco site, that's very simple task

1. Just backup all your files and database from your old hosting provider. If you are not too sure how to backup your datbase, please kindly ask your old hosting provider to backup your database, it will be on .bak format
    2. Sign up on new hosting provider. I would recommend asphostportal or hostforlife.eu. Just find them on google
    3. Just upload all your files to your new hosting provider
    4. Restore your database via their control panel or you can upload your .bak file and ask them to restore it for you.

Good luck!

• Anand Vishwakarma 2 posts 72 karma points
    Apr 16, 2022 @ 09:32
    Anand Vishwakarma

Hi John,

I followed the same way to transfer and its common way to transfer any site. But i have getting issues on Umbraco 8 and SQL server 14.

I have installed same version in other vps server also. Then copy all files and db backup did same copy and restore db and changed sqlconnection details in web.config file.

Its all set up but its coming umbraco default install page.? and I put name, email id and pass there and click to install so its install default Umbraco 8.

Then again i restore db again but its still coming umbraco 8 default page main site not coming

Please give me a solution if you have any kind of issue.

Thanks Anand

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft