This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 247 posts 483 karma points
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 05:38
    Meni

Migrating Umbraco v7 to Azure

Hey,

So I decided to try Azure.

1. I opened account at Azure.

2. Then I downloaded the .bak file from the current host, and exported to BACPAC using the SQL studio express (which can be download free from microsoft website)

3. I created a news SQL serveron Azure and imported the BACPAC file.

4. Then I uploaded to the ftp the installing files of umbraco 7.4.3 and started the installation.

The problems:

1. during the installation process it didn't ask me which database to use. Usually when do blank installation (from what I remember from the last time I installed Umbraco - it asks for the DB). Now it's just installed. So I don't know which db it actually uses? I tried after the installation to copy-paste the connection string from the Azure to the web.config, but then got error. So I put back the originall web.config. The problem is that now it only shows the sample website, but I want my website with all the content from the last 3 years

2. It shows the sample website and not my website

3. I don't know trough which db it's work now. I only setup on my new azure the sql which I imported. At the connection string of the new installation it's doesn't says what db it uses

My question: How do I retrieve my old and good website??? Like, how do I connect to my old db (which now stores in the new one that I just imported to the Azure)

Please advise. Thanks!

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 07:32
    David Peck

Hi Meni,

If you're upgrading to v7, I suggest you do the separately to uploading to Azure. So get the site running locally and then once the upgrade is complete then you can upload to Azure. It's not that you can't upgrade while on Azure, but if you run in to an issue you won't know if it is the hosting on the upgrade. Also it will be easier to resolve the issue.

Further to that it sounds like you might have got your process a little confused. The site should be all running in v4/v6, before the upgrade. If you just upload a clean install of V7 then it won't have your templates and configuration.

Finally, if you want to link the DB to the web app then you'll need to change the connection string in the web.config. Umbraco doesn't provide a UI for linking the site to the DB except on a clean install. Azure also links resources, so you might like to link the DB and the Web App through the Azure UI so that Azure knows that the two are reliant on one another.

Jul 11, 2016 @ 13:52
    Meni

Hi David. Thanks for your answer.

1. Not upgrading to v7 - the website is always run on v7. Just move my website from my current host (at the last ~4 years) to Azure.

2. The site was running on v4 / v6 years ago ... , but every new update I update it to the latest version, so since the release of v7 it's run on v7

3. So about the template, I'm going to copy the files, the big problem / my big question is what about the tree?? like, I have I think thousands of posts, how can I restore the tree?? Is it a way to do it?

4. So in other words you say I first need to link the DB to the app on the Azure UI , and them to the web.config? It's not automatically? Also, back to my previous questions - so if the web app not familiar with the DB, so what DB the new install uses?? Because DB on Azure costs money, so how the V7 could install? And why it's didn't ask what DB to use?

Thanks for your help again!

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 19:54
    David Peck

Hi Meni,

Sorry. I misread. The content tree is all in your database. As long as you restore the bacpac, you'll be fine.

4 - yes you need to create the database, update the connection string in the web.config and (optionally) link the resources in the Azure UI. When you install Umbraco fresh you have no version number in the AppSettings of your web.config. As such the installer kicks in and it will create you a new DB. But you don't want this. If you create a new DB then you will lose all your content. By reconnecting it to your old DB (or atleast the version restored from the bacpac) you'll keep your content.

Jul 12, 2016 @ 16:00
    Meni

Hi David, Thanks for your help! It's now works! Unfortunately, Microsoft did very bad job with Azure - many small things in the portal are very unclear, and it's takes hours to figure out small things that they could just write. Another thing is, that Microsoft do not offer free technical support.

Anyway, in order to move the website to the new server, I used this great tutorial "Package up your Umbraco website" which explains how to move the website to new server: http://www.uquickstart.com/umbraco-tips-and-tools/package-up-your-umbraco-website

Them I've put the connection string, connected to the database (that I imported as BACPAC file) and now the website is running under the new host! Thanks again for your help!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft