Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Natalie Collins 1 post 72 karma points
    Jul 11, 2016 @ 12:39
    Natalie Collins

Accessibility compliance with the Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines

I have a client with a strict requirement for the end website to meet the W3C international Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 to a level AA. In order for the CMS to support the creation and display of accessible content, the Content Management System itself should comply with the Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) 2.0.

• Does the Umbraco support the creation of accessible content?

• Has the Umbraco CMS been tested against the ATAG standards?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 12, 2016 @ 08:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Natalie and welcome to the Umbraco developer forum :)

1 - Creation of accessible content is largely a matter of the implementation done on the website and then it's of course also a matter of the editors being aware of accesibility principles since the guidelines are both concerning the technical implementation of the website and how editors write texts and makes sure to use relevant alternative text for images etc. - This is possible to achieve with Umbraco and these criteria are less specific for the platform - I have previously build websites based on Umbraco for local government sites with demands of adhering to at least level AA, which has been a success.

The important part in the implementation is that the developer or the agency building the site is aware of the guidelines while the site is being developed so they make sure to consider the accessibility requirements when building the site and the widgets etc. that the site consist of as well as when they structure the Umbraco backoffice to make it easy for the editors to adhere to the accesibility demands.

2: To my knowledge I have not heard about Umbraco being tested against the ATAG requirements but there has been made some nice improvements, which makes it possible to navigate the backoffice using the keyboard so it should be possible to edit content without touching the mouse for instance - I know that this example is not the same as Umbraco passing the ATAG test since it probably consists of more scenarios etc. - But just to mention an example of improved accessibility in the backoffice.

I hope this helps a bit? :)

/Jan

• TheLievense 1 post 72 karma points
    Apr 04, 2017 @ 13:41
    TheLievense

Has there been any further work to make the Umbraco admin either WCAG2.0 AA level compliant or 508 compliant?

Does Umbraco include a default theme that meets those standards for the front end?

Both of these are critical requirements if Umbraco is going to be used by federal, state or city government agencies.

Thanks.

• Niels Swimberghe 22 posts 105 karma points c-trib
    Jan 11, 2019 @ 18:24
    Niels Swimberghe

I am wondering the same thing. 508 is often an important requirement for gov, not only for the front-facing site, but also backoffice interfaces.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft