Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Kyle Goulding 30 posts 192 karma points
    Jul 15, 2016 @ 14:05
    Kyle Goulding

Data Type Editor - For selecting document or Page

Is there a Data Type Editor available which allows a user to select a file (i.e. PDF, Word, etc) which has been uploaded to the media section, or a page from the collection, or specify an external link if required.

Similarly to the 'Link' editor in the Rich Content Editor where you can specify whether to open in a new window or same window?

I have a site which is using bootstrap and I have created a Document Type called Column which includes - Title (Text), Image (MediaPicker) and Link.

I want the user to be able to add as many if these as necessary and the link can be documents to download or view in the browser, or pages or external pages.

Please let me know if something like this exists, or whether this is something which would require creating as a custom data type. I would have thought something like this would be standard. Thanks

• Comment author was deleted

Jul 15, 2016 @ 14:13

Maybe have a look at https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/nested-content/ , sounds like that will do the trick for you

• Kyle Goulding 30 posts 192 karma points
    Jul 15, 2016 @ 14:24
    Kyle Goulding

Hi Tim,

Thank you for your comments - I have been rattling my brain over this for the last week, and been coming up short every time.

However... I believe I have just worked out the answer to my question...

For my 'column' Document Type I had multiple fields -

Column Title - (Text String) Column Body Text - (Rich Text Editor)

Link Text - (Text String) Internal Link - (Content Picker) External Link - (Text String)

I think by creating a new Data Type 'Links' based on the Rich Text Editor but removing all options apart from Link and Unlink I can then remove Link Text, Internal Link, External Link from my Doc Type so the text is included in the Rich Text Editor, I can link to internal pages, or media (Documents, or Images) or specify an external URL if required with the added functionality of specify how the link should open whether same window, new tab, new window.

I hope this helps someone else in the future as this has been a bit of a headache for me.

Would be great to see a link Data Type available which includes all of these settings as standard in the future.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft