Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• mark 9 posts 90 karma points
    Jul 20, 2016 @ 09:29
    mark

installing Umbraco with VS Code

I'm very new to Umbraco and trying to install it.

I followed the guide and it said:

1. Download and install Webmatrix
    2. Download and unzip Umbraco

but when I click on install Webmatrix > Microsoft has replaced it with 'Visual Studio Code'. So I've installed VS Code, but I can't find instructions on how to install Umbraco on this?

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 20, 2016 @ 10:07
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi mark.

If you are new to developing Umbraco, i would really recommend WebMatrix since it gets you started pretty quickly. You can even install Umbraco directly from within WebMatrix.

Umbraco recommends WebMatrix on their installer page, but I saw that Microsoft recommends VC Code on that page, but you find a link to the WebMatrix installer a little further down on this page: https://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/

enter image description here

As soon as you have WebMatrix installed on your computer, just right click on the un-zipped Umbraco folder and click "Open as a Web Site.." :

or from WebMatrix welcome page. Click "New" > "App Gallery" > "Umbraco CMS".

and run the application from WebMatrix, you will then see the Umbraco installer.

Good luck!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 20, 2016 @ 10:40
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Mark and welcome to the Umbraco developer forum :)

In addition to Dennis nice post above I would just like to mention that you can see some documentation on how to install Umbraco in the documentation section of the forum as well - You can find it here https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Install/

I have not gained that much experience with Visual studio code yet but I don't think it's currently possibly to install Umbraco using that editor - But luckily it's still possible to download Webmatrix as Dennis pointed out above :-)

Happy umbracoing!

/Jan

• mark 9 posts 90 karma points
    Jul 20, 2016 @ 15:17
    mark

thanks a lot. (how sneaky of them to hide the link)

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Jul 20, 2016 @ 15:53
    Dennis Adolfi

Hehe yeah, very sneaky! :)

Glad to help! Have a great day!!

• siddartha kopparapu 2 posts 73 karma points
    Jan 03, 2018 @ 10:38
    siddartha kopparapu

Now support for webmatrix is officially ended, how to set up Umbraco with VS CODE

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft