Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sheridan 10 posts 101 karma points
    Jul 20, 2016 @ 15:29
    Sheridan

Can't install Umbraco locally on Dev machine with multiple SQL Server instances

Hi there,

I've been running into problems when attempting to install Umbraco 7.4.3 on my local work PC. Please note that I have already managed to successfully install Umbraco on a new build PC, so I am already familiar with this process.

However, I cannot install it on this PC, which has multiple versions of SQL Server already installed (2008/12/14/16). I have repeatedly tried to install it, failing each time because the sa password is reportedly incorrect.

enter image description here

I discovered that this version of Umbraco uses version 2008 R2 of SQL Server and that was already installed on my PC before I started working here and so, I have no idea what the sa password for it is.

As this old database was no longer used, I completely uninstalled it and so when trying to install Umbraco next, it then gave me the option to create a new database instance. I added a new instance through the installer and supplied and re-entered a new password.

I left it to install for a while and then was shown the image above which says that the password was incorrect. However, I tried this 3 times today and further times previously and I know that I entered the correct password.

Furthermore, I also tried opening the Umbraco folder with WebMatrix, as described in this page (https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Install/) and could successfully connect to the newly installed database using the same password. Additionally, I could also connect to it using the same password in Management Studio.

I really need to install Umbraco on my work PC, but have no idea what to attempt next. I'm really hoping that someone has a solution that I can use to get this successfully installed.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 21, 2016 @ 04:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sheridan

That indeed is a frustrating experience - When installing using the Web Platform Installer I usually don't fill in the database information since you're going to be asked for the same details when launching Umbraco for the first time anyway (If I remember correctly)....Confusing? Indeed - But if you give it another go just let the default database option of CE SQL (That an embedded database, which exists on the file system) be initially and then when you spin up Umbraco for the first time there is a installation wizard where you need to configure the installation - From there you can change the database. But you can also just choose to still use CE SQL and do a migration of the database to MS SQL once the installation has finished. It's fairly straight forward when using Webmatrix for instance.

I don't know if you have come across the installation documentation here as well? https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Getting-Started/Setup/Install/

Hope this helps!

/Jan

Jul 21, 2016 @ 08:34
    Sheridan

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your response. The problem is that I already have an instance of SQL Server CE (2005) installed and as it was also installed before I started, I also don't have the sa password for it. I'm aware that a number of applications require this to be installed, so I am hesitant about uninstalling it for this purpose.

When I uninstalled my old SQL Server 2008 R2 instance and attempted to install Umbraco, I didn't see any option to NOT enter credentials... how can I do that?

Also, if you see the URL in my question, you'll notice that it is the same as the one that you suggested that I look at, so yes, I have seen that page and tried a number of different ways of installing Umbraco that were highlighted there. Do you (or anyone else) have any alternative suggestions?

Jul 21, 2016 @ 11:10
    Sheridan

I tried using the WebMatrix 3 installation method again and this time, it actually told me that the ASP.NET MVC 4 installer for 2010 did not install. I tried installing that manually, but had problems with that too.

In the end, I had to install a Microsoft patch before I could install it. After installing the patch, I could manually install the MVC installer and then Umbraco finally installed.

In case anyone else is having the same problem, I followed the answer from this post on Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20132604/mvc-4-installation-failure-offline-or-with-web-installer

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 22, 2016 @ 05:35
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sheridan

Oh, sorry about the documentation link - I did not notice it when reading through your initial post since it was not marked as a link so missed it :)

But happy to see you managed to find a solution so you can move forward - Sorry that you had to go through such a hassle to get it working. Hope you'll enjoy working with it though! :)

/Jan

Jul 22, 2016 @ 08:08
    Sheridan

Absolutely no problem Jan. It was your response that made me try the WebMatrix option again, so thank you for that.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft