Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gary 80 posts 377 karma points
    Jul 27, 2016 @ 12:55
    Gary

Create new Umbraco site with existing Umbraco Site

Hi,

WE have a standard website layout for certain websites in our organisation.

As i have had a request for another one of these sites want to know if there is an easy way of doing this.

Can i simply just create the site structure as normal (as a blank site) then copy the source files from the other site to the new one. Or is there a best practice method for this?

I want to use the same doc types/templates/css/scripts etc, it would just have different content (obviously).

Kind Regards,

Gary

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Jul 27, 2016 @ 13:04
    Fergus Davidson

I Think you can create a package which could then be deployed in a new site.

that package should add everything you need

Jul 27, 2016 @ 13:24
    Gary

This seems the most likely way of doing it, just having a read into this. Just going to have a test and see if it works as expected.

Thank you Fergus.

Jul 27, 2016 @ 14:33
    Gary

The packages worked a treat. Created fully functional site within half hour. Just updating the content and everything works great!

Thanks again.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 27, 2016 @ 13:17
    Nik

You could migrate between two instances, however, as an alternative you could create the second site in the same instance of Umbraco.

One Umbraco can host multiple sites, and this can work quite well if the only differences are content and styling. You might need to extend some bits an pieces but as long as you can use the same document types this could be the quickest solutions.

Jul 27, 2016 @ 13:23
    Gary

This sounds interesting but what are the possibilities of configuring different URL for each site within that one instance in IIS?

Cheers.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jul 27, 2016 @ 13:26
    Nik

That's no problem at all. On your root nodes you can specify the domain and the language the relevant node trees work against.

• Fergus Davidson 309 posts 588 karma points
    Jul 27, 2016 @ 13:26
    Fergus Davidson

Gary - i think with either way, the thing to watch out for is that any MNTPs and other datatypes that contain nodeId values will need to be re-picked.

Jul 27, 2016 @ 13:39
    Gary

That's a good point. A suppose this is where trial and error comes into see if this will be easier than actually recreating the site.

Ive just created the package and will now set up the new site and test.

Thanks for the help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft