Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Toppers 31 posts 155 karma points
    Aug 06, 2016 @ 11:57
    Toppers

I want to create a Bootstrap starter Kit for V7

Using the themes from: bootswatch

Are there are good tutorials for creating starter kits?

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 08, 2016 @ 12:32
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Toppers,

Umbraco starter kits are packages.

So you have to create Umbraco package, read more :

http://code-desk.com/web-development/how-to-create-local-package-in-umbraco-7.html

Thanks

Aug 10, 2016 @ 13:13
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Toppers,

Did you find solution?

Thanks

Aug 10, 2016 @ 13:16
    Toppers

I'm still working on the starter kit as someone else wants a boiler template for client-side administration

Aug 10, 2016 @ 17:13
    Alex Skrypnyk

It's interesting task. Can you share your best practices and some cases?

Thanks, Alex

Aug 10, 2016 @ 18:09
    Toppers

Most developers want a simple template that they can integrate into their projects as they do they same repetitive work over and over again!!

Almost all sites nowadays need at least a client membership management system which is responsive with the ability to verify membership by email or 2-stage confirmation.

Also most recent dot-net solutions will have membership Areas which define what the users has access to - this is a MINIMUM requirement..

As a new user to Umbraco - I was struggling to find ANY boiler templates which work well with the latest version which are responsive and can have its theme changed at a flick of a switch. I'm not a designer or a graphics artist and simply want to slot a theme so I can publish the site online!!!

We should have a standard like WP has that force people to adhere to for the visual display - this at least will create an industry where people can create and distribute their creative works openly and it will help the take up of Umbraco - there are thousands of themes/plugins to choose from for WP and next to nothing for Umbraco!

I recently needed to create a themed blog for a family member who wasn't sure what theme she want, it took me less than an afternoon to set it up for her using WP when I would have loved to have created it with Umbraco and she is now adding and updating features herself - even though she is the least technical person I know.

I have several sites to create and struggling to do them with Umbraco - even subcontracting an Umbraco developer is substantially more expensive than a WP developer so from a business point of view I have to make a decision of viability of the projects using Umbraco - which is really sad...

Please feel free to contact me directly if you want to discuss further...

Aug 14, 2016 @ 11:03
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi guys,

New great way of doing sites from Umbraco team - Umbraco as a Service, and there is feature called Baseline, it's something like starterkits, if you will create great baseline it will be really easy to start next projects with all common features.

Read more: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Umbraco-as-a-Service/Getting-Started/Baselines/

Thanks,

Alex

• Jon R. Humphrey 164 posts 455 karma points c-trib
    Aug 14, 2016 @ 11:31
    Jon R. Humphrey

@alex, while this is great idea, according to the link:

Using the “Create Project” option from the Umbraco as a Service portal you’ll have the option to create a new project based on an existing project (Agency plans).

It's restricted to higher level plans - and this is fine as HQ has to generate revenue or we have to start paying!

Aug 14, 2016 @ 12:31
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Jon,

Yes, it's not free, UAAS can't be free because it uses Azure, which isn't very cheap.

Aug 14, 2016 @ 13:09
    Jon R. Humphrey

@Alex,

Sorry, think I've confused things!

I thought the Baselines were part of the higher levels from the wording on the Baselines documentation page that I quoted above!

I've just checked the features and pricing page and see you're right - baselines are for all levels! #woot

Now I've got to set this up for my "agency" too!

Cheers,

J

Aug 10, 2016 @ 19:34
    Jon R. Humphrey

Toppers,

Just a couple of thoughts on your responses:

What about the built-in kits, the ones on here, or even uSkinned if you would like some amazing work to build and learn on?

Remember Umbraco was built to release us from being tied to a front end so we can do what we want on either side of the fence - with a great tool to back us!

I've built kits for clients too and it's a lot easier with Umbraco!

As for time and money, these should be incorporated into your overall costs; and if you're doing it for a friend or family well that's the payment right there!

Happy to discuss too if you'd like!

Cheers!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft