Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Smith 79 posts 110 karma points
    Aug 08, 2016 @ 09:17
    Matt Smith

Hi, I am trying to find some information on the umbraco media file size limit. I have commented on an old thread but not had a response: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/6017-media-file-size-limit

I want to extend the size of files we can upload from the IIS default of 4mb, and have been pointed to this config setting:

<system.web>
      <httpRuntime  maxRequestLength="102400" executionTimeout="360"/>
    </system.web>

Please can someone let me know if changing this will impact on other data, for example importing data through the Umbraco API, or it will only affect the size of media files that can be uploaded via the umbraco editor?

Many thanks, Matt

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Aug 08, 2016 @ 11:23
    David Peck

You're increasing your exposure to DoS attacks I guess, but we do this all the time. I don't think you're going to have any issues at all.

If you weren't already, apply it to the umbraco folder only to limit your exposure.

You might also want to upload this node. I think this is the IIS7+ one, but I'm not clear on the distinction.

<system.webServer>
      <security>
        <requestFiltering>
          <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="26214400" />
        </requestFiltering>
      </security>
    </system.webServer>

Aug 08, 2016 @ 12:20
    Matt Smith

Hi David, Thanks for your reply.

I am only talking about making it 12mb or so, so we can upload slightly bigger documents to the media area, but hopefully not make us open to DOS.

I'm just not an expert on this at all (I will be asking someone else to make the change). I just need to be confident that it will not affect data that is imported to our site through the API etc.

I assume the settings mentioned above are for the whole website, and not specific to the media area?

would those lines of config already be there and contain the default setting? If so I can't see how extending them would impact elsewhere?

thanks for the help I appreciate it

Matt

• David Peck 687 posts 1863 karma points c-trib
    Aug 08, 2016 @ 12:25
    David Peck

It's not going to affect anything detrimentally.

Those lines probably aren't already in there. Or at least the node might be there, but the attribute might not be.

If they're not in the web.config, it doesn't mean they don't have a value (there is a default) or that they haven't been specified elsewhere as there are other higher level configuration files where they might be set. Setting it in the web.config will just override everything.

You can limit them to the umbraco folder like this:

<location path="umbraco">
      <system.web>
        <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="25600" />
        <authorization>
          <deny users="?" />
        </authorization>
      </system.web>
      <system.webServer>
        <security>
          <requestFiltering>
            <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="26214400" />
          </requestFiltering>
        </security>
      </system.webServer>
    </location>

Aug 08, 2016 @ 12:42
    Matt Smith

Thanks

Yes it appears like the setting is still on the default as we cannot upload documents larger than 4mb currently.

I will pass this on - thanks again for the help.

Regards, Matt

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft