Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ryan 3 posts 74 karma points
    Aug 11, 2016 @ 18:55
    Ryan

Change default value for inherited Document Type Property at the child level?

I have a Base Document Type called Page, that has a Navigation Tab on it. In there are some basic Navigation Fields.

Navigation Link Text Navigation Url Show In Site Navigation

etc

Now all my other document types are Composed from Page.

However I have create a News List Document type also composed from page. Then a "News List Page" document type also composed from Page.

The only child allowed under News List is "News List Page". I do not want the "News List Page" to have navigation properties...

So should I have had this instead?

Page

----Navigateable Page

-------- Other Pages

----News List Page

etc, meaning News List Page would not inherit the navigation properties?

Can I change the composition of existing document types?

Or instead, can I make the default value of "Show In Site Navigation" false for News List Page, but true for everything else?

• Ryan 3 posts 74 karma points
    Aug 11, 2016 @ 19:13
    Ryan

I decided to just redo all my document types so that I have a new Document Type called "Navigable Page".

Page's that should be able to show up in site navigation are composed from Navigable Page. That way if I don't want a page to have the Navigation tab and act as child list items, then I can compose it from Page instead.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6133 posts 23952 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Aug 11, 2016 @ 22:20
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Ryan,

Nice decision, that's why nowadays a lot of developers do not use Inheritance, because you never know when you will need to remove some tabs or fields, with Compositions it's easy.

Thanks,

Alex

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft