Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Deepak 2 posts 72 karma points
    Aug 17, 2016 @ 15:20
    Deepak

Failed to enter the lock within timeout. getting this error sometimes after upgrading umbraco version 7.4.3

Server Error in '/' Application.

Failed to enter the lock within timeout.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.TimeoutException: Failed to enter the lock within timeout.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[TimeoutException: Failed to enter the lock within timeout.] Umbraco.Core.AsyncLock.Lock(Int32 millisecondsTimeout) +145 Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Acquire() +276 Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext.Init() +70 Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.CreateApplicationContext(DatabaseContext dbContext, ServiceContext serviceContext) +67 Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.Initialize() +804 Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.Initialize() +122 Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase.StartApplication(Object sender, EventArgs e) +246

[HttpException (0x80004005): Failed to enter the lock within timeout.] System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +544 System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +186 System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +172 System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +402 System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +343

[HttpException (0x80004005): Failed to enter the lock within timeout.] System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +579 System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +112 System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +712

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.6.1069.1

And also not able to see anything in umbraco log file? Is anything I'm missing while upgrading? The performance of site is also very slow as compare to previous version after upgrading to version 7.4.3? Please help, thanks

• Ido 2 posts 22 karma points
    Oct 26, 2016 @ 12:05
    Ido

Hi. Did you find any solution for it? If so, please share it with us.

Thanks in advance, Ido

• Renan Franca 13 posts 84 karma points
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 00:25
    Renan Franca

I have the same problem!

• fatih 1 post 71 karma points
    Nov 25, 2016 @ 10:10
    fatih

is there any update, for this topic?

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 11:28
    Peter Duncanson

We hit this the other day. To fix it we:

• Stopped the IIS process completely by stopping it in IIS
    • Killing it in Task Manager to make sure it definitely had stopped and freed up its locks.
    • Then deleted /App_Data/umbraco.config file.
    • Then restarted the site in IIS.

That should clear it. On start up Umbraco will regenerate the umbraco.config file.

Just poking the web.config to get it to restart doesn't do it, you have to kill it all off in Task Manager.

Cheers

Pete

Feb 03, 2017 @ 13:46
    Renan Franca

Awesome! Thanks for the fast response!!!

Feb 07, 2017 @ 14:44
    Renan Franca

It Works!!! And you were right! Have to be sure that IIS was really stopped!

Feb 09, 2017 @ 12:23
    Renan Franca

Peter Duncanson, unfortunatly the error: Failed to enter the lock within timeout happened again. I didn't make any update at my website.... is this errror happen to you more than once?? Did you understand why this happens?

Thanks in andvance and i hope you got the time to answer this, i'm really warry about it.

Here is the full stack trace:

Failed to enter the lock within timeout.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.TimeoutException: Failed to enter the lock within timeout.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[TimeoutException: Failed to enter the lock within timeout.]
       Umbraco.Core.AsyncLock.Lock(Int32 millisecondsTimeout) +145
       Umbraco.Core.MainDom.Acquire() +276
       Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext.Init() +70
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.CreateApplicationContext(DatabaseContext dbContext, ServiceContext serviceContext) +67
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.Initialize() +804
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.Initialize() +122
       Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase.StartApplication(Object sender, EventArgs e) +327

[HttpException (0x80004005): Failed to enter the lock within timeout.]
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +544
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +186
       System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +172
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +402
       System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +343

[HttpException (0x80004005): Failed to enter the lock within timeout.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +579
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +112
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +716

• vcd 4 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 26, 2018 @ 22:52
    vcd

Thanks Pete, just encountered this phenomenon for the first time, and your solution worked!

• Peter Duncanson 430 posts 1360 karma points c-trib
    Feb 09, 2017 @ 17:31
    Peter Duncanson

Ouch. We only had it happen the once but we've also upgraded the site too. I see you are running 7.4.3 do you think you can upgrade to the latest? Chances are there is a fix in there that might make it go away.

Feb 09, 2017 @ 19:30
    Renan Franca

Thanks again for the fast response!!! My Umbraco version is this:

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="7.5.6" />

Which version do you user?

Thanks again in advanced!

Feb 15, 2017 @ 14:45
    Renan Franca

Sorry for flood this post, but which version are you using Peter Duncanson?

Thanks in Advanced

• Chris Evans 137 posts 353 karma points c-trib
    Mar 07, 2017 @ 01:05
    Chris Evans

Just encountered this issue on v7.5.9 - on a dev site, single user, so no issues around load or heavy use.

Had to restart entire IIS server to bring it back up, just restarting site and recycling app pool did not fix.

Will notify here if it happens again!

Mar 07, 2017 @ 01:10
    Renan Franca

Thank you very much for the feedback!!! I'm keeping having this issue... I didn't find a pattern for that yet! =/

• Simon 692 posts 1068 karma points
    Aug 14, 2018 @ 09:42
    Simon

Hi Renan, How have you solved this issue, please?

Kind Regards

• Echo Train 16 posts 106 karma points
    Nov 08, 2019 @ 18:27
    Echo Train

We have also tried the suggestions here, with no luck. As it sits, we must restart the application pool every day to be sure the site stays up. The only path to relief seems to be an Umbraco upgrade, a tedious undertaking with only a forlorn hope that it includes a fix.

We were initially quite happy with our Umbraco site, but have been frustrated by glitches to the point that we are weighing the Umbraco upgrade against switching platforms.

• SteveV 54 posts 240 karma points
    Nov 08, 2019 @ 22:25
    SteveV

Which version are you using?

• Echo Train 16 posts 106 karma points
    Nov 09, 2019 @ 18:13
    Echo Train

• Neil Hodges 338 posts 987 karma points
    Jan 08, 2020 @ 09:13
    Neil Hodges

Hi

Does anyone know if this has been fixed? I'm seeing it on a 7.15.3 site.

I've recently added another website to use within the site, so 2 home nodes with separate Hostnames.

I keep seeing the Failed to enter the lock within timeout.

I'm having to refresh App Pools to bring the site up. seems to be happening a few times a day now and is causing the sites to run very slow.

We're running on Windows Server 2012, I did see an issue here - https://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6626

The fix seemed to be a hotfix, but the posts from 2017, is it still relevant?

Is there anything else I can do to stop the Examine indexes from being locked?

• Luis Inacio 1 post 71 karma points
    Aug 14, 2020 @ 13:09
    Luis Inacio

Had the same issue and fixed it with IISRESET command in admin mode

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft