Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Aug 24, 2016 @ 09:29
    Simon Dingley

Reinstalling Packages in 7.5.x

I've just upgraded a site to v7.5.2 - great work on this version guys!

I love the new package manager UI/UX however I have hit one issue - I need to reinstall a package that encountered an error during install except now I am prevented from doing so because the install button is disabled saying "Package already installed". I tried to remove it from installedPackages.config but noticed the version number was different in there so not sure if that file is in use anymore?

Is there a way to get around this and to reinstall the package over the top?

Thanks, Simon

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 06, 2016 @ 10:07
    Sebastiaan Janssen

This is a bit of a "who moved my cheese" moment for those of us who are so used to the old ways of Umbraco. We're trying to "force" people to build better packages that install correctly the first time. Installing "over the top" was always a bit silly of course, who would intuitively think: "oh, it didn't work the first time, of course I have to do it again".

So, if it didn't work: report the issue to the author, do everybody a huge favor and help them improve the package install!

In Umbraco 7.5.3 (released yesterday, I know, we're going a bit fast.. we're now pretty confident that we don't have horrible issues any more, so we'll slow down now), we now log proper errors in the Umbraco log and tell you in the interface at which step something went wrong so it's easier to report these issues.

In the mean time, please don't mess with config files, this is what the uninstall option is for:

enter image description here

• Simon Dingley 1470 posts 3427 karma points c-trib
    Sep 07, 2016 @ 11:01
    Simon Dingley

Thanks Sebastiaan.

So, if it didn't work: report the issue to the author, do everybody a huge favor and help them improve the package install!

I will do however that doesn't help my current situation. If I wanted to upgrade a package would I still be able to do that or have to uninstall the old version first? To add some detail here; after installing a package something has happened somewhere along the line which has caused the relevant UI translations to disappear so I want to reinstall them. I can do this manually if I have to but wanted to query this feature to understand why I can't do it "the old way" ;)

In the mean time, please don't mess with config files, this is what the uninstall option is for:

It's this bit which makes me nervous because whilst I know what files it will remove during this process I have no direct insight into what other actions will be performed e.g. will it drop a database table? Perhaps something to add to the UI if it's not already there?

Cheers, Simon

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Sep 07, 2016 @ 12:02
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Upgrades will work of course. :-)

It's this bit which makes me nervous

How does that bit make you nervous and reinstalling over the top not?

Being facetious I'd twist your own words a little bit: You have no direct insight into what actions will be performed, e.g. will it drop the database table before creating it?

Remember, a package install can do anything it wants. So can a package uninstall.

I know, this is all very annoying, it even annoys me when I'm testing things! I feel your pain, but I also know it's for the greater good. For example, it would be great if the package developer actually included a dashboard from which you can re-install missing content, dictionary items, doctypes, files, or whatever else could be useful. The LocalGov kit does this very nicely for example and it would be a great feature request to the package author.

With all that said: go into installedPackages.config and find <package id="4" version="4.0" and change it to some other version. Umbraco will then accept the reinstall.

• Biagio Paruolo 1593 posts 1824 karma points c-trib
    Mar 23, 2019 @ 14:11
    Biagio Paruolo

It's work!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft