Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• JamesBoom 7 posts 97 karma points
    Aug 24, 2016 @ 11:39
    JamesBoom

Deploying Umbraco from local to Windows 2012 R2

Hi

I am building my first Umbraco website and wanted to test it on our live server.

I converted the default database to an MS SQL database and all is working fine locally.

When I copy the website and database to the remote server and go to the domain I get the error:

Umbraco cannot start. A connection string is configured but the Umbraco cannot connect to the database.

enter image description here

I'm guessing it's an issue with Umbraco itself rather than the database as if I connect to the database on the remote server from my local version then it works fine, it's just when I use the remote website and remote database.

I've seen a few posts with the same error message but can't seem to fix this issue.

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Aug 24, 2016 @ 12:02
    Paul Seal

Hi Whenever I get this message it is because the user in the connection string doesn't have permission to access the database.

If you have taken a backup of the database from your local development environment and then restored the one on the live or staging environment you will need to delete user permissions from the database. To do this go to: ServerName > Databases > YourDatabaseName > Security > Users

Right click on the user and click delete.

Then go to

ServerName > Security > Logins

Recreate the user here with the same username and password used in the connection string and give it permission to the database. You need to give it dbreader, dbwriter, and db_owner

That should fix it for you.

Aug 24, 2016 @ 12:26
    JamesBoom

Hi

Thanks for the reply Paul.

I wouldn't have thought this is the issue as I'm currently using the admin details to connect to the database.

I added a new user as you suggested, just to give it a try, and I still have the same error message.

Aug 24, 2016 @ 12:43
    JamesBoom

Sorry completely my fault, I still had the IP address of the server in the connection string when on the live server so wasn't connecting!!

What a plonker.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft