Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Sep 05, 2016 @ 14:20
    Saied

Show only content based on USA State?

Hi,

I only want to show a toastr notification only if the user is coming from the state of California. Is there a package that can do this or is there another approach someone has done?

Thanks, Saied

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 05, 2016 @ 14:27
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Saied,

What is toastr notification ?

Thanks

Sep 05, 2016 @ 14:54
    Saied

Toastr is just a js file that shows notifications similar to the umbraco notifications.

• Ian 178 posts 752 karma points
    Sep 05, 2016 @ 15:09
    Ian

If these are front end users of your site will they be logged in having registered on your site or will some / all be anonymous. If they are anonymous you will only really have their ip address which you will then need to interface with a good ip to location provider (a lot of them are poor & inaccurate), you might also add in html5 location detection.

An important technique rather than a solution per se that i've seen is to create a basic profile for anonymous users on initial visit and then enhance that profile with more accurate info if or when you are able to funnel them through a data capture mechanism and glean accurate details provided from the visitor themselves. Even then though you only identify that a particular device is associated with a given location.

Sep 05, 2016 @ 16:01
    Saied

Hi

The users will most likely be anonymous

Thanks

• Alex Skrypnyk 6131 posts 23950 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 05, 2016 @ 16:02
    Alex Skrypnyk

Saied, you have to use IP.

Sep 05, 2016 @ 18:26
    Ian

This demonstrates the problem, I was looking for the ip to location service we used in a project a while back I found it was http://ip-api.com/ but the location it returns for my ip is inaccurate displaying london instead of cardiff. This is also the case with several other services tested. One I just found reported correctly http://www.tracemyip.org/. My IP is 188.39.145.66 if it helps when testing with any others.

Sep 05, 2016 @ 20:09
    Saied

Yes, I was looking at many options. I found one called freegeoip.net. Here is a fiddle I was trying out:

http://jsfiddle.net/FTkxV/52/

Sep 05, 2016 @ 20:39
    Ian

Well i just tried it and also visited their website on my mobile at home and the only thing it came up with was that i was in the uk dont know if its any better for US

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Sep 06, 2016 @ 06:33
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi Saied,

you can maybe take a look at the Personalisation Groups-package (https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/personalisation-groups/). It's created exactly for this task.

You still have to get the IP-to-location-lookup working, but it's a great way of personalizing your content.

Jeffrey

Sep 06, 2016 @ 07:20
    Ian

Good spot jeffrey, i thought there was a package that did some of this but couldnt remember which, the only.one i came back across was footprint but that didnt look to really do the same job.

Have you used the personalisation groups package, how would you rate it?

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Sep 06, 2016 @ 07:23
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi Ian,

I've used it for one production project and it's really easy to use for both developers and marketeers and it's fully extendable, so if you're missing something (which I doubt) you can built it on your own or get into contact with Andy (the maker of the package).

Happy personalizing!

Jeffrey

Sep 06, 2016 @ 13:35
    Saied

Hi Jeffrey,

I was looking at this package and I guess I could pass the Ip to a Ip to location service. I noticed it provides Country IP, but doesn't go down to the state level in the US for example.

I have also noticed some of the services that translate ip to a location such as California are not reliable.

Thanks for the help Saied

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft