Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim C 161 posts 528 karma points
    Sep 07, 2016 @ 12:16
    Tim C

Very large number of editors - possible?

If we were to build an intranet with Umbraco used for things like News articles, bulletin board items and so on, the number of different people who would potentially need to edit documents could be huge (thousands).

Could Umbraco handle this (interfacing with Active Directory in some way to authenticate users)? Or is this a non-starter?

If so, another possibility is a small number of logins, but extra user information passed with the login and stored with the documents so that the 'editor' can be seen in the document audit trail.

The reason I became nervous was looking at the option to set permissions on a content node : if that had to build a table of checkboxes for thousands of users, that could slow or even kill the system (is my guess!).

I appreciate any advice!

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 09, 2016 @ 08:28
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Tim,

I think you are right, and in performance it can be slow. You can use Users one by one to set permissions.

Maybe it's better to use members for this?

Thanks,

Alex

Sep 09, 2016 @ 08:29
    Tim C

Members would be fine, but they need to be able to edit content documents and I don't believe members can do this?

Sep 09, 2016 @ 08:30
    Alex Skrypnyk

Tim, you have to write new pages for it, with custom code.

Sep 09, 2016 @ 08:33
    Tim C

Do you mean new controllers and views?

But would they be able to use the Umbraco back-office html forms and controls for input?

Sep 09, 2016 @ 08:34
    Alex Skrypnyk

Yes, new controllers and views.

It's not easy to use Umbraco backoffice for members.

Sep 09, 2016 @ 08:37
    Tim C

To be honest, that sounds like a huge amount of work to allow members to edit what could be complex documents with many tabs and properties which users can do out of the box.

I guess Umbraco is off the table.

Essentially, it is designed for a small numbers of users to work on a site and where anyone can edit anyone else's documents...much as I like Umbraco, that doesn't seem a very modern scenario for a CMS.

Just my opinion!

Sep 09, 2016 @ 08:40
    Alex Skrypnyk

Tim, I think you can try to use Users, but for easier persmission settings, try to add some events and change settings on user cretion event or some other event. Than you won't need to manage permissions.

What do you think about that?

Sep 09, 2016 @ 08:42
    Tim C

Not sure what you mean. But we would have thousands of users (hopefully automatically authenticated by intergating with Active Directory), which was my issue : would this make the system slow and unsuable

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft