Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Sep 08, 2016 @ 03:21
    Saied

Organizing document types and templates?

Hi,

I was just curious on getting some feedback on how some of you organize your document types and templates (including partials). I am currently running 7.4.3 and I was thinking of putting all document types associated with the home page in a Home Folder or another approach would be to put them in folders by type? The same applies to templates.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Saied

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Sep 08, 2016 @ 10:14
    Dennis Adolfi

Hi Saied.

I quess this is different for every developer how they like it.

For my Document Types I like to have all my Widgets in one folder called Widgets, then i like to have a folder called Compositions, where i keep all my DocumentTypes that are only used as Compositions for other DocumentTypes. And lastly i keep one folder for all my base DocumentTypes, like Home, Page and so on, in a folder called Base Document Types.

I dont think you can have folders for Templates, maybe you mean Partial Views? The structure of my Templates are based on the inheritance, so there is not much organizing there.

For Partial Views I usally just keep one folder for the Widgets and one folder for Sections (which I keep globlal partials like the Header-section, Footer-section and so on.) and then all the other Partials at Root level.

But it would be interesting to see how others keep their back-office structured.

Sep 10, 2016 @ 01:30
    Saied

Dennis thanks for the input. This question is subjective, so hard to accept one answer. You are right, no folders for templates.

Thanks again, Saied

• Dennis Adolfi 1082 posts 6446 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Sep 10, 2016 @ 07:42
    Dennis Adolfi

Exactly, you are correct Saied. I'm glad you raised the question since it's always interesting to see how others do and it's easy to get "stuck in your own ways".

Hopefully more people will join this thread and share their back office setup!

Take care Saied!

• Carole Logan 17 posts 118 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Sep 08, 2016 @ 14:31
    Carole Logan

Hi,

Like Dennis has mentioned above, I have Doctypes separated by type rather than purpose. So I would have a "page" folder then all pages below that rather than a homepage folder with homepage Doctypes. Similarly for a "Widget" folder, etc.

You can have a base Doctype that the others sit under. This allows for property inheritance so if there are properties you want on all Doctypes below "page" then add them to it then the child Doctypes have them too.

Not sure if there is a correct way to do it but this is how I tend to structure things.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, Carole

Sep 10, 2016 @ 01:31
    Saied

Thanks for the input Carole

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft