Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Cimplex 113 posts 576 karma points
    Sep 14, 2016 @ 08:54
    Cimplex

Choosing the right hosting provider

Hi, I got this big client that have a quite large Umbraco website, 15 languages and growing incredibly fast. How ever, the site is currently on a VPS and need to be moved and it is up to me to choose the right hosting provider.

I have looked into UaaS and tried it on a sample website and it did work without any problems, but to be honest i am terrified of loosing the control of the website. What happens if a website have a memory leak and i need to look in the log files on the server to find it? Or what if i need to restart the application pool. Or any other reason when you need to access the server.

From what i have read it is possible to connect to the server through FTP and get the files if you need a backup or some data. Is it possible to get SQL database backup files as well?

My next option is to purchase a VPS server to host my websites. This way i get full control of the websites if they go down or if i want to add some more advanced settings on the server.

What are you thoughts on selecting the right hosting provider for your websites and how have you solved it for your company?

// Herman

• John Palmer 76 posts 201 karma points
    Sep 15, 2016 @ 07:14
    John Palmer

Hi Herman,

Yes, with your requirement, it seems that you need to purchase VPS or dedicated server.

If you purchase VPS or dedicated server, then you will be able to login to the server and do anything you want. You can restart your IIS application pool. If you are using shared hosting, then everything need to be managed via control panel. But, hosting provider for example asphostportal use Plesk control panel. You can also restart the application pool via control panel. I would recommend you to check their dedicated server option as they are quite cheap and they are reliable too.

If you are using VPS, then you will be able to manage everything, you can download your files directly on the server and backup your db via SQL management studio. So, you dont need worry about that.

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Sep 15, 2016 @ 07:38
    Niels Hartvig

What happens if a website have a memory leak and i need to look in the log files on the server to find it?

Then we can provide a memory dump. A log file on the server wouldn't be a great help there (yet, you can of course always access the log files)

Or what if i need to restart the application pool.

There's a button for that directly on the project: enter image description here

From what i have read it is possible to connect to the server through FTP and get the files if you need a backup or some data.

You can always access the file system through a web-based tool we provide called Kudu.

Is it possible to get SQL database backup files as well?

Yes, always and we also provide point-in-time restore for the last 35 days

Or any other reason when you need to access the server.

The advantage of UaaS is that it's managed hosting, so you shouldn't need to access the server. It's a different mindset, but one that lets you focus on developing sites.

If you are using VPS, then you will be able to manage everything, you can download your files directly on the server and backup your db via SQL management studio. So, you dont need worry about that.

Correct. But in return you'll need to worry about managing backups and restore, keep up with Windows Update, etc, etc, etc. It's 2016 - why on earth would you really want to do that.

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Sep 15, 2016 @ 08:28
    Paul Seal

I'm with eukhost and I can't recommend them highly enough.

I've got a VPS which is running on SSDs and it costs me under £20 per month.

Take a look at what they offer and see if you like them.

Cheers

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft