Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Sep 16, 2016 @ 06:28
    David Armitage

PLEASE HELP! - Convert Umbraco SDF Database to SQL Server 2012

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me. I recently saw there was a new Umbraco update and I was excited to try it so started my latest project on it.

I installed as normal and filled in my SQL database details and quickly got going. I have been coding this website for a week now and just come to realize it is not using my SQL Server 2102 database like I thought it was. Instead it's using the SQL compact SDF file.

Big problem since I have already started the project and like a week in. Every project I build is very customized and I am constantly adding my own tables besides the usual Umbraco tables.

Please can someone help me either.

1. Preferably tell me how I can convert the Umbraco SDF database into a SQL Server 2102.

2. Alternatively tell me how I can manage the SDF database within visual studios or some other software. I have managed to find plenty of free software to read from these databases but not edit them. I have nothing against using these databases if I can add my own tables and data.

I think Microsoft are wanting to stop supporting these types of databases so I would much prefer to migrate to SQL server.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

David

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Sep 16, 2016 @ 06:38
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi David,

Here are some guides on how to do that : http://erikej.blogspot.nl/2012/02/migrating-databases-between-sql-server.html

http://www.geektantra.com/2012/10/umbraco-deployment-exporting-ms-sql-ce-database-to-ms-sql-server-express/

After that is you need to change the connectionstring in your web.config

Dave

• David Armitage 505 posts 2073 karma points
    Sep 16, 2016 @ 07:03
    David Armitage

Hi Dave,

You are a massive life saver. This tutorial worked perfectly and had me back up and running in a matter of minutes.

And doubly thanks for the fast response. As well as a great product its also the awesome community that makes Umbraco so good.

Check here the the tutorial I followed!

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Sep 16, 2016 @ 07:04
    Dave Woestenborghs

No problem...you don't want to know how many times I installed Umbraco with the SQL CE database and the starter kit installed while I didn't want to :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft