Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Sep 20, 2016 @ 17:51
    Saied

pitfalls of dropping and recreating umbraco db for every build?

If I drop and recreate by umbraco db from a script every build, are there pitfalls that I should be aware of when doing this?

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Sep 20, 2016 @ 19:02
    Nik

Hi Saied,

I think a bit more information on this is needed.

Why are you considering this as an option? When you refer to a build do you mean a new website or the build of a VS project? Will your site have content put in it during this process?

In my opinion, my instinct is to say this is a bad idea, especially if you answered yes to question 3 or "build of a VS project" to question 2.

Nik

• Saied 349 posts 674 karma points
    Sep 20, 2016 @ 19:04
    Saied

Yes when building in VS.

I think this is a bad idea too, but I am looking for ways to convince someone that it is, but would like to hear from others and yes content is being inserted as well.

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Sep 20, 2016 @ 19:13
    Nik

There is absolutely no need to do it.

One issue you might find is things like pre-values and media loosing their IDs.
    Using scripts to rebuild your database is risky, what happens if the scripts aren't updated, or miss some content. What if it breaks all the foreign key relationships mapping things incorrectly.... There are loads of things that could go wrong with this approach with, from what I can think of, no benefits.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft