Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Caractacus Downes 81 posts 314 karma points
    Sep 23, 2016 @ 11:04
    Caractacus Downes

Debug Umbraco project in VS2015

Hi,

I have a project U7.4.3 which is running on a public webserver perfectly happily. In order to make some changes I want to be able to run this project in VS2015 on my local machine. I have made a copy of the database to my development server and a backup of the files to my local machine, and I have modified the SQL connection string appropriately.

When I try to run this in Debug mode in VS2015 (F5) it fails to run and gives me the following error:

Could not load type 'umbraco.controls.GenericProperties.GenericProperty'.       C:\...path ...\Umbraco\Controls\GenericProperties\GenericProperty.ascx  1

I have been Googling and experimenting for almost two days now and I can't work out what the problem is.

The website will run if I choose to use the last successful build.

I'm sure this is something really basic, but it is irritating me a lot. Is it a problem with VS2015? If it's a problem in the code itself then why does it run on the live server happily, just not on my local box?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Crac

• Marc Goodson 2122 posts 14213 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Sep 24, 2016 @ 10:03
    Marc Goodson

Hi Caractacus

I would probably in your circumstances (if you haven't already)

Create a new Visual Studio 2015 project

Use Nuget to install the version of Umbraco that your production site uses into Visual Studio.

Point this at your development database backup via the connection string.

Run the application in Visual Studio - (obviously there will be no front end implementation) but you should be able to login to the Umbraco backoffice, and see your content nodes, and determine if this error occurs.

If everything is fine, then depending what you have on your production site, I would probably reinstall any packages via nuget, then copy your implementation specific folders from production to your development copy, eg

Views/Scripts/Img/Images/Media/Js/Css/fonts/ and any package specific configuration.

Then hopefully all should be well locally, or at least you'll be closer to determining the point at which it falls apart and where the error lies!

• Caractacus Downes 81 posts 314 karma points
    Sep 26, 2016 @ 08:50
    Caractacus Downes

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered this, but I'm shying away from it a bit as the site has various other add-ons the installation of which was not entirely painless.

It feels like there should be a reference or dll that needs updating or a config line that needs changing, or even a tick box lurking somewhere in VS2015 that is messing me up ...

I was hoping someone would know why it happens rather than having to take the 'start again and hope it's ok this time' approach, which I have done many times in the past but always with a sense of failure!

Any other suggestions anyone?

Cheers,

Crac

• Alistair Jenkins 92 posts 315 karma points
    Jan 12, 2018 @ 11:43
    Alistair Jenkins

Hi,

I'm having a similar problem in VS2017. Did you ever find a solution that didn't involve install everything again?

Cheers, Alistair

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft