Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Fabian 68 posts 172 karma points
    Oct 07, 2016 @ 12:48
    Fabian

Content node with many children loads very slow

In the umbraco backoffice I have a particular content node that has about 10000 child nodes. These child nodes are being shown in a list view.

The issue is that it takes a lot of time for such content node to load to the point where it is not useable. I haven't timed how much it takes to load but for sure we are talking minutes here and not seconds.

After some more digging I have noticed that it takes a lot of time to load only the first time or after it is saved and published. I assume this is because the rest of the time it is cached so it performs well.

The thing is that I can't understand why it takes so long, since the list view is paginated, thus I assume that these 10000 child nodes are not all being loaded at once.

I have found another thread stating the same issue, which is the following: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-8269#comment=67-28400&tab=Comments ... but no real solution to the problem was provided.

Can someone shed some light on this? Do you have any possible solutions?

Thanks Everyone

• Jason Espin 368 posts 1335 karma points
    Oct 07, 2016 @ 12:58
    Jason Espin

One thing to potentially look at is the Umbraco versioning. 10000 child nodes is a lot of nodes to have but Umbraco should really be built to cope with that. However, you have to remember on top of those child nodes there are also numerous versions of the same content that has been edited over time. Most of the time, you won't even need these fallback versions so I would look into amending the number of times each of these nodes is versioned and see if that makes any difference to the processing.

One plugin I would suggest installing would be Unversion: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/unversion/

The other common cause for such slow loading is poorly written editors. Are you using any custom editors in these pages or ones from the community? If so, it may be worth looking to see if there is a newer optimized version of the editor.

• Jason Espin 368 posts 1335 karma points
    Oct 07, 2016 @ 13:00
    Jason Espin

Also worth looking at the following:

http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-6887

It could be the hardware on which your site is installed. Is the server an old machine? Does it have SSD's? etc etc

Oct 12, 2016 @ 08:38
    Fabian

Hi Jason,

I have checked regarding the hardware of the server the site is hosted on and it is not old. It has 32GB of RAM, core i7 3.40GHz CPU, 500GB SSD etc.

I have also monitored the Memory and CPU usage from the task manager while trying to access such content node and everything looked normal. The server was not under load or stressed or anything.

So I believe that I can also rule out that the server hardware is not the issue. The problem now is that I ran out of ideas on what the issue might really be. To be honest its true that 10,000 child nodes are a lot for us but for a computer they shouldn't be and I believe that umbraco should be able to handle such amount of data.

Do you by any chance have any other suggestions please?

Thanks a lot for your help

Oct 10, 2016 @ 08:57
    Fabian

Hi Jason,

Thanks a lot for helping me out and your feedback, I really appreciate it.

I am only using the default editors of umbraco so that could not be the issue.

Regarding the umbraco versioning, I honestly don't think that that could be the problem since these 10000 child nodes have been freshly imported and never edited till now, but it is a very good point so still I am going to install that plugin in order to not make things worse.

Regarding the hardware I honestly do not have a clue, since the site is hosted by a third party company but I am going to look into it.

At least I have discovered that the top search in the umbraco backoffice is still fast, so if I want to access one of these 10000 child nodes quickly I can simply search for it here and not have to wait for the parent node to load. It doesn't solve the issue since this is a workaround sort of, but until I figure out what exactly is going on it will do.

Thanks again Jason.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Oct 10, 2016 @ 10:51
    Steve Morgan

Is there any way of sub dividing these nodes (e.g. by name A-C D-G etc etc).

Steve

Oct 10, 2016 @ 16:10
    Fabian

Hi Steve,

At this point in development it is not really possible to change the structure of such node to be honest.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft