Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ben McKean 272 posts 549 karma points
    Oct 25, 2016 @ 08:31
    Ben McKean

Upgrade 7.5.3 - The process cannot access the file '\App_Data\umbraco.config' because it is being used by another process

We've recently upgrading one of our client's sites to v7.5.3 from 7.3.5.

Ever since doing this we've been getting the following error on the live site. We starting the site seems to fix the error but then it reoccurs.

This is a live site hosting on Azure and causing us major issues so nay help much appreciated. Anybody know of any things that we can check that normally cause this?

2016-10-25 06:42:11,640 [P18876/D6/T123] ERROR Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase - An unhandled exception occurred
    System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'D:\home\site\wwwroot\App_Data\umbraco.config' because it is being used by another process.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.File.Delete(String path)
       at umbraco.content.DeleteXmlFile()
       at umbraco.content.LoadXmlFromFile()
       at umbraco.content.LoadXmlLocked(SafeXmlReaderWriter safeXml, Boolean& registerXmlChange)
       at umbraco.content..ctor()
       at umbraco.content.<.cctor>b__a()
       at System.Lazy`1.CreateValue()
       at System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue()
       at System.Lazy`1.get_Value()
       at Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.XmlPublishedCache.PublishedContentCache.<get_GetXmlDelegate>b__3(UmbracoContext context, Boolean preview)
       at Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.XmlPublishedCache.PublishedContentCache.GetXml(UmbracoContext umbracoContext, Boolean preview)
       at Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.XmlPublishedCache.PublishedContentCache.HasContent(UmbracoContext umbracoContext, Boolean preview)
       at Umbraco.Web.PublishedCache.ContextualPublishedCache`1.HasContent(Boolean preview)
       at Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.EnsureHasContent(UmbracoContext context, HttpContextBase httpContext)
       at Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.EnsureUmbracoRoutablePage(UmbracoContext context, HttpContextBase httpContext)
       at Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.ProcessRequest(HttpContextBase httpContext)
       at Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.<Init>b__8(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

• Comment author was deleted

Oct 25, 2016 @ 09:03

Not an azure expert but can't you stop the site like you can stop one in iis (and start it back up-? That might remove the lock

Oct 25, 2016 @ 09:08
    Ben McKean

Hi Tim,

I'm constantly restarting it. If I do this it works and is fine....then after a period goes down again

Thanks

Ben

• Comment author was deleted

Oct 25, 2016 @ 09:11

Does it go down after a specific backoffice action? Any pattern you can see going on?

Oct 25, 2016 @ 09:12
    Ben McKean

No, not that I can see. Neither I nor the client is doing anything in the CMS. The site has also gone down in the early hours of the morning.

• Niall McCabe 10 posts 80 karma points
    Feb 03, 2020 @ 10:41
    Niall McCabe

Hi Ben,

I appreciate this is a long time ago, but did you ever track down the cause of this issue? We've got a client with the same issue on an Azure hosted site, v7.5.8. Unfortunately, for the time being at least, an Umbraco upgrade isn't an option. Anything you remember would be helpful.

Niall

Feb 03, 2020 @ 10:54
    Ben McKean

Hi Neil,

I'm sorry, I can't recall what fixed it. I think we ended up upgrading the site.

Sorry to not be more help.

Thanks

Ben

• Niall McCabe 10 posts 80 karma points
    Feb 03, 2020 @ 10:58
    Niall McCabe

Hi Ben,

No worries, to be honest that was the answer I expected. Thanks for the prompt reply.

If I find a solution, I'll post it here in case anyone else has the same problem in the future.

Niall

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft