Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dominic Tse 21 posts 110 karma points
    Oct 26, 2016 @ 06:04
    Dominic Tse

Umbraco Backoffice - Forgotten Password not working

Hi,

I am not sure why Forgotten Password is working on my local dev machine but not on the Azure server. Both dev and Azure uses the same Web.config.

Is there anyway to get more detailed error message? I tried checking Chrome console screen and the event log. Both do not give any helpful information to debug this problem.

Dom

enter image description here

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Oct 26, 2016 @ 10:03
    Steve Morgan

hi,

Quick guess but SMTP server? Have you got something setup on Azure?

Steve

Oct 26, 2016 @ 22:17
    Dominic Tse

I did a health check on SMTP settings under Developer > Health Check options. Umbraco thinks it is correctly configured. Is there anyway get Umbraco to provide the cause of the error; more than just "Request password reset failed for email ... "? Can Umbraco provide more like C# exception error messages?

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Oct 27, 2016 @ 07:54
    Steve Morgan

Hi,

Usually those kinds of errors are logged - have you checked in /App_data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt (ensure debug is set to true in the web.config).

Steve

Nov 07, 2016 @ 03:09
    Dominic Tse

Hi, I finally tried that. I didn't get any error in UmbracoTraceLog.txt when the password reset was failed. Is there anything else I can do to debug the issue?

• Ian 23 posts 113 karma points
    Dec 07, 2016 @ 09:49
    Ian

Just for anyone finding this, the solution for me was to add the 'from' attribute to the <smtp> element in web.config:

<system.net>
        <mailSettings>
          <smtp deliveryMethod="Network" from="[email protected]">
            <network defaultCredentials="false" host="smtp.gmail.com" port="587" enableSsl="true" password="12345678" userName="[email protected]" />
          </smtp>
        </mailSettings>
     </system.net>

Hope it helps

Dec 07, 2016 @ 22:00
    Dominic Tse

Yes I also had to specify from attribute to get Forgot Password working.

<smtp from="[email protected]">
      <network host="smtp.office365.com" password="abcdefghijk" port="587" userName="[email protected]" clientDomain="mycompany.com" enableSsl="true" />
    </smtp>

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Feb 14, 2018 @ 09:40
    Jeroen Breuer

Had the same issue today. For older versions of Umbraco you need the from attribute in smtp. In newer versions of Umbraco it will have a fallback to email in the umbracosettings.config.

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft