Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jan Brinker 77 posts 103 karma points
    Nov 15, 2016 @ 12:30
    Jan Brinker

Page with multiple root nodes gives 404s after hoster change

Hi there, I'm currently taking care of an old Umbraco 4.10.11 website. There has been some bad blood with the old web hoster so the site is currently being moved to a new one. Now, the files were moved, the DB was moved, the connection string was adjusted and everything looked ok.

However I realized that some parts of the website do not behave correctly. Everything beneath the main root node works just as it should, however there are multiple root nodes and none of them react to the URL they are supposed to belong to. (The original site which is still up and running behaves as it should!)

The setup is as follows:

• Main root node has language and host name set
    • Other nodes at root level do not have this setting
    • Second root node is called "English" and is supposed to listen to URL "/english/", which gives me a 404 when I try that URL in my browser.
    • Child nodes of that second root node "English", like "About Us", are supposed to be reached under the URL /about-us/ (mind: not /english/about-us/), which is probably due to the setting of umbracoHideTopLevelNodeFromPath=True. Again: on the old site this works just nicely, on the "new" and not yet live site I get a 404.
    • I tried adding a host name "*.tld/english/" to that second root node. This takes care of the first 404. However I really do not want to change the URLs of the subpages from /about-us/ to /english/about-us (a lot of links would need manual changing on the site). So I don't want to go with this solution. Also: on the original site there wasn't a host name set either, so I don't see why I need to set it now.

I compared all the settings and configs manually, bu I can't see a difference between the staging version on the new webspace and the correctly working site on the old hoster.

So I guess this might be resolved using IIS settings. It has to be a setting somewhere and if I can't find it in Umbraco, this seems to be the logical place to look. However: what to change? Does anyone know how to get this working? It doesn't have to be an IIS setting, just as long as I can get it up and running again without changing the URLs, I'd be happy.

As I said, there is some bad blood with the old web hoster so I am not sure whether it's a good idea to ask them about configs in the IIS.

Hope someone can help me out here :)

Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft