Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy W 15 posts 85 karma points
    Nov 21, 2016 @ 11:06
    Andy W

Help needed upgrading (from 7.1.3 to 7.2.8)

Hi all,

I'm revisiting my attempt to upgrade Umbraco. As previous attempts have been unsuccessful, I'm trying to make less of a jump, this time going from 7.1.3 to 7.2.8.

On following the upgrade steps, my website stops working, and no install procedure runs.

I've overwritten the \bin, \Umbraco and \Umbraco_client folders as instructed; merged the web.config file and all required files in the \config folder.

I have then tried opening my site, expecting the install procedure to kick in. Instead I get a http 404 (webpage not found) error. If I restore my original filers/folders, the site works again.

Am I missing something? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

• Eric Petersson 32 posts 116 karma points
    Nov 21, 2016 @ 11:53
    Eric Petersson

Hi, Andy

Have you been trying to go to your backoffice login and in to the Umbraco shell and republished the site after the upgrade? Perhaps that may solve your issues.

Please give me a respond if that would not workout.

Regards Eric

Nov 22, 2016 @ 11:41
    Andy W

Hi Eric - I can't login to the backoffice as the upgrade hasn't yet run, and the changes I've put in place as per the guidelines cause the website to crash.

I will reply to the other comment I received, so feel free to look at that for more clues.

Thanks for your response, Ady

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Nov 21, 2016 @ 13:12
    MuirisOG

Check your folder / file permissions after you overwrite them.

Check the config file to make sure you haven't overwritten an important setting. Does the new version have the correct setting for umbracoConfigurationStatus?

Check your log files in the app_data folder to see if they have any useful information.

Check the IIS logs on the server, as they might have useful information.

Nov 22, 2016 @ 11:47
    Andy W

Hi - thanks for your reply. Looking in the log file in the app_data folder was a good idea - I get the following error:

Application shutdown. Reason: BinDirChangeOrDirectoryRename

But I followed the upgrade instructions which include copying the \bin folder of my upgrade over my existing site, which is what I have done.

Is this correct?

Thanks, Andy

• MuirisOG 382 posts 1284 karma points
    Nov 22, 2016 @ 11:57
    MuirisOG

Sorry Andy, but this bit is beyond my knowledge.

A quick search on Google for that error gives a few useful hits, but if that error was happening on the original site before upgrade, it may be a red herring.

Here's one of the hits that may be of some help:

https://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/63922-Application-shutdown-Reason-various

Nov 22, 2016 @ 15:23
    Andy W

Hi again. Solved one problem. I went into McAfee antivirus and excluded my website's \bin folder from being scanned. I then copied all the other files back into place (Umbraco, merged config files etc.) and reopened my website. This time the site opened - great!

My next question - I expected with all the changes I made, for an upgrade install to automatically run, but nothing happened?

thanks, Andy

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft