Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Graham Thomson 56 posts 136 karma points
    Nov 25, 2016 @ 10:04
    Graham Thomson

Hi

I am new to Umbraco and checking it out for a possible project I might be working on.

My potential client is not very happy with the search functionality they have as it stands. Are there any products / plug ins people can recommend that enhances search quite quickly?

Thanks Graham

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Nov 25, 2016 @ 10:23
    Steve Morgan

Hi Graham,

Do you mean front or back end? Umbraco uses Examine under the hood (for both!). It's very configurable (for devs) and you can easily create some nice site searches out of it (excluding certain doc types, including / excluding media files etc etc).

To have a very quick introduction I'd recommend installing eZSearch https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/ezsearch/ - that gives you some out of the box functionality and the documentation is a great introduction to Examine in general.

There are lots of folk here who can help with anything more complicated than that and I believe there is an Umbx Workshop planned for exactly this topic.

HTH

Steve

• Graham Thomson 56 posts 136 karma points
    Nov 25, 2016 @ 10:37
    Graham Thomson

H Steve

Thanks! I think I mean Front end - as in what Web Users experience when they hit the homepage via the browser and see the search box!

Many thank for the tips - I'll check them out!

Cheers Graham

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 432 posts 1691 karma points
    Nov 25, 2016 @ 11:17
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Graham,

We have used the following tool for our own client sites. Very powerful and indexes a site by properly crawling content like a search engine. Also indexes content in documents, pdfs, etx

https://www.karamasoft.com/ultimatesearchmvc/features.aspx

Cheers,

Marc

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 25, 2016 @ 11:33
    Ismail Mayat

Marc,

Do you happen to know what it uses under the hood? Lucene or their own custom format?

Ismail

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 432 posts 1691 karma points
    Nov 25, 2016 @ 13:32
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Ismail,

Not entirely sure how it works behind the scenes but it is a great tool. If you get a developer licence you can use it on as many sites as you want.

Its the only .net based tool I have found that properly indexes a site like a search engine.

The problem I find with Examine is that you need to tell it exactly what doctype fields you want indexed. If you have lots of doc types this can get very complicated.

Cheers,

Marc

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft