Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Edward 21 posts 113 karma points
    Nov 25, 2016 @ 23:24
    Edward

RTE data would be truncated

Hello,

I haven't faced this problem before, I am running umbraco 7.5.4 after successful installation of umbraco, I made a new document type with RTE as property.

I can have only max 493 long text, otherwise I get error

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated.

Looking forward to hear what I did wrong or maybe I am not the only one with such issue :(

Thank you guys

• Jonathan Richards 288 posts 1742 karma points MVP
    Nov 30, 2016 @ 17:16
    Jonathan Richards

Hi,

Hum, I suppose this depends on what database you are using. In general most datatypes are stored in either a nvarchar(4000) or a ntext datatype depending on how they have been written. I don't know off the top of my head which one RTE uses.

You can change your database with

ALTER TABLE dbo.cmsPropertyData
    ALTER COLUMN dataNvarchar nvarchar(max)

Which sets the nvarchar to maximum size (Note this only works on later SQL servers, and stops examine from being able to search them). If you want a hard limit, change the word 'max' to any number you want.

As for the limit at exactly 493 characters, not an issue I've had personally. sorry.

Hope this helps.

• Kim Nedergaard 37 posts 144 karma points
    Jun 07, 2017 @ 07:16
    Kim Nedergaard

Running 7.5.8 - and ran into the same problem.

dataNvarchar was set to nvarchar(500) - changed it to max and now everything is back on track! :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft