Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rachel 5 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 30, 2016 @ 00:59
    Rachel

Memory spike logging into Admin site

We are using Umbraco v6.1.6 (Assembly version: 1.0.5021.24867).

Our server is hosting both the Umbraco website and database: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 RAM: 4.00 GB

When we log into the Admin site the memory (not CPU) on the machine spikes up 3.9 GB. It appears that the IIS Worker Process (w3wp.exe) is the culprit. After that we start getting timeouts on the SQL Server and the website just hangs. I will continue to search the forum, but thought I would post here just in case there are some obvious things that I should check. The external website is fine, this is only happening on the internal Admin site on our staging server.

The company is dead set against upgrading to a newer version. I am also new to Umbraco and did not set up the site so please be easy on me.

Thanks! Rachel

• Jonathan Richards 288 posts 1742 karma points MVP
    Nov 30, 2016 @ 17:40
    Jonathan Richards

Hi Rachel,

If I had to guess one reason, out of the million it could be, I would guess you have a corrupt database, and Umbraco can't display the Content section because it has some underlying issue - like the content is recursive (Eg. A content node has a child that is also its own parent). I suppose the easiest answer, if you have multiple environments, is take a copy of the database from one of the other environments.

Though to be honest, so that you understand what you have stated; I've got a Ford Fiesta, its a model from 2002, and it doesn't start. Can you tell me why? It really could be anything. Sorry to be vague.

Cheers

• Rachel 5 posts 75 karma points
    Nov 30, 2016 @ 19:18
    Rachel

Thanks, Jonathan! Is there a query I could use to see if there is recursive content? This is a recent copy from production and we don't have any other database to restore.

Just to update as a quick fix we increased the memory on the machine from 4GB to 8GB. At this point the users are ok because it appears to be working for them. However, I still think we need to resolve the issue of so much memory being used.

I forgot to mention that the issue is intermittent and that sometimes the screens load fine. In other words, sometimes everything is fine and other times things will just hang like the "Create" page dialog box will open as blank. The issue that bothers me is why the app is loading so much into memory (almost 4GB) just from logging into the Admin site. I was wondering if maybe we are inadvertently caching things we shouldn't be or if we have some rogue setting. Thanks for any advice.

Rachel

• Jonathan Richards 288 posts 1742 karma points MVP
    Dec 01, 2016 @ 10:26
    Jonathan Richards

Hi Rachel,

Many years ago, circa 2010, I had a script that did fix this issue, but sadly I have lost it, and have regretted that event often.

I can suggest you ask around, but even the best script in the world isn't gonna fix corrupt data, if it is too corrupt.

As for your question about caching, as I have no visibility of the project, its impossible to know what code has been specifically written and running in your environment. Without knowing this, plus how much content there is in Umbraco, its hard to state whether 3Gb is excessive or not. To me, throwing 8Gb at a window's server, seems quite normal, so maybe this is an issue of expectations.

Cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft