Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ian 23 posts 113 karma points
    Dec 02, 2016 @ 19:20
    Ian

User (not member) export/import ?

Hi all

we have a number different sites which have a large number of back office users - content editors, 3rd party agencies etc. Generally we need the same set of users on each site.

Is there any way to export users from one umbraco site to another? (other than database query/insert).

CMSImport package appears to handle members but its users that I need to copy around.

I cant find anything at all on this forum or even on google which makes me think I'm missing something really obvious :-)

Any ideas?

tia

Ian

(edit: single sign on, eg AAD, is not an option right now)

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 5x c-trib
    Dec 02, 2016 @ 20:05
    Dan Diplo

I know you said not database query, but honestly I reckon that would be the simplest way. There's about 3 tables you'd need to copy (UmbracoUserTypes, UmbracoUsers and UmbracoUser2Apps I think).

• Jeremy Newman 18 posts 190 karma points
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 01:00
    Jeremy Newman

You could use a console application to do it. I started with the following sample code to import members from a third party db and create them within umbraco using the MembershipService. You should be able to create backoffice users using the normal Umbraco Api calls from here as well.

https://github.com/sitereactor/umbraco-console-example

• Ian 23 posts 113 karma points
    Dec 04, 2016 @ 13:35
    Ian

Thanks guys. Sounds like I haven't missed anything obvious - will code something, either sql scripts, console or even backoffice plugin (via sql auth credentials and connection strings).

Ultimately we'll move to AAD but that implementation is weeks away.

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Sep 09, 2018 @ 18:27
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

Checking on the status of this. Is there now a way to import / export users between instances of Umbraco?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft