Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Henrik Vincent 122 posts 616 karma points
    Dec 14, 2016 @ 14:49
    Henrik Vincent

Multilingual site with both different TLDs and subfolders

Hi guys

I just finished a business site a few weeks ago.

Now the client wants several new language versions, which I'm already a bit familiar with.

What I'm not sure about though is whether it's possible to have both versions on other TLD's and versions in subfolders.

Let's say I'm going to create 4 new languages where two of them sgould be on a .de and .nl Top level domain and two others in subfolders /en/ and /fr/.

Is this possible within a single Umbraco installaion?

Best

Henrik

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 15, 2016 @ 18:35
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Henrik,

Yes it possible to have sites that are different on TLDS and subfolders. If you see this site.

http://www.aller-aqua.com then the english site is running on the TLD be all the language variants are running on subfolders like www.aller-aqua.com/da

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Amir Khan 1282 posts 2739 karma points
    Dec 15, 2016 @ 20:20
    Amir Khan

Hi Henrik, to elaborate, you can specify the subfolder in the cultures and hostnames settings on a node.

So, if you're using the mutli language site setup where you have a different start node for each language, you can just set the domain to be either a new TLD or subfolder in the cultures and hostnames settings for the node.

Tor a new TLD enter the following for the domain:: newtld.com

For a subfolder you would enter: tld.com/en

• Hussein Khraibani 15 posts 98 karma points
    Dec 05, 2017 @ 11:01
    Hussein Khraibani

Hi Amir, so basically you can have newtld.fr ?

Cheers, Hussein

• Henrik Vincent 122 posts 616 karma points
    Dec 21, 2016 @ 12:59
    Henrik Vincent

Awesome Dennis and Amir

Thanks alot for your replies.

@Dennis: On the page you shared, all language variations are subfolders to the .com TLD, but taking Amirs explanation I'll be able to both have different TLDs and subfolders in the same installation.

But from what I heard from the client, they just bought around 20 different TLDs, so doing both TLDs and subfolders might not even be required.

But I'm very glad for your help. Then I can at least ensure the client, that both solutions will be possible in the same installation.

Best

Henrik

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft