Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brian Milinski 42 posts 165 karma points
    Dec 22, 2016 @ 15:07
    Brian Milinski

Not Working - Forgotten Password? Link Umbraco 7.5.6

Hi,

I am having an issue with a new feature in Umbraco v 7.5.6. I am testing the "Forgotten Password?" link when trying to log in to Umbaco, and when I request that a reset password link be sent to my email, I get the following error:

"Request password reset failed for email -------"

enter image description here

Any insight into this would be helpful. Otherwise I am enjoying the upgrade!

Thanks, Brian

Dec 29, 2016 @ 17:10
    Brian Milinski

Anyone have insight into this !?

• Antoinette Silago 21 posts 92 karma points notactivated
    Dec 29, 2016 @ 17:42
    Antoinette Silago

Yeah, I tried using my email address to get the password and I didn't see anything come through my email. Since I'm just learning, I just started all over again since I was not that far into my project the first time. :(

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Dec 29, 2016 @ 17:58
    Nicholas Westby

Some possibilities:

• SMTP is configured incorrectly in the web.config.
    • A firewall is blocking SMTP traffic.
    • Your email address contains a domain that Umbraco is rejecting due to a faulty regex.
    Dec 29, 2016 @ 18:04
    Nicholas Westby

By the way, if you really can't get the password reset working, you could use this (assuming you have file system access) to reset the password on the root account: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/umbraco-admin-reset/

Dec 29, 2016 @ 18:09
    Brian Milinski

I do have file system access as I installed the site, and control the project. I just would like the functionality to work for end users, it isn't an access problem. I can log in to the back office. Just want to make that clear. I will explore your other options, but Umbraco Forms is sending email, so I don't believe it is an SMTP issue.

Dec 29, 2016 @ 18:20
    Nicholas Westby

Be sure you have a correctly configured default sender email address in ~/config/umbracoSettings.config. Umbraco Forms allows you to specify a sender email separately, which might explain why it works there but not for other functionality.

Dec 29, 2016 @ 18:37
    Brian Milinski

Excellent, thank you very much Nicholas. I actually didn't have a from="" specified in my SMTP settings in my web.config which was causing the error. Because it didn't have that default email address, Umbraco was throwing an error. Works like a charm now!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft