Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Jan 05, 2017 @ 23:40
    Carlos Mosqueda

Downloading Umbraco binary but says to use WebMatrix, but MS is using VSCode now

I just downloaded the Umbraco binary, I know, old school but I like it this way.

But when I downloaded it the download screens says, "Unzip", "Run in WebMatrix", "Follow the installer".

I just took a look at the WebMatrix page again in Microsoft's website, and it looks like they are moving towards Visual Studio Code.

So, my questions is, (and I am going to check this out), will the binary work with VS Code as did in WebMatrix.

Visual Studio has a community version (free) with almost full features.

What's the future with the binary and the installer with Umbraco?

Carlos

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 06, 2017 @ 07:49
    Sebastiaan Janssen

It's like you can read our mind.. We're about to update the documentation for this. There's absolutely nothing wrong with using WebMatrix if this work for you of course but VSCode is a lighter weight tool that's actually being updated (WebMatrix has been discontinued).

Visual Studio Code will need this plugin installed to run the site in IISExpress though: https://github.com/warrenbuckley/IIS-Express-Code

Of course if you like Visual Studio then community is great too and then you install Umbraco with NuGet.

• Carlos Mosqueda 240 posts 431 karma points
    Jan 06, 2017 @ 23:32
    Carlos Mosqueda

Hey Sebastiaan,

So in that case, I have not used VSCode much, but looks really interesting as a cross platform development tool. Especially being build on top of Electron platform. Thanks for the link to the IIS plugin. Great stuff.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft