Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matt Smith 79 posts 110 karma points
    Jan 19, 2017 @ 14:08
    Matt Smith

deleted documents still available

Hi, This is a similar issue to https://our.umbraco.org/forum/core/general/60197-Deleted-Media-Items-Still-Accessible but I have started a new thread as that is over 18 months old.

we are using umbraco 6.2.5.

We have an issue where media items that are deleted from the media library and the recycle bin are still being indexed and accessed by google, and the links to them are still working.

Is this a known bug? and is there an easy way to identify and remove all these media items?

Many Thanks, Matt

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jan 20, 2017 @ 07:17
    Dave Woestenborghs

Hi Matt,

The files for media items in the recycle bin are still on the disk, so can still be accessed through their http link.

I think they only get deleted from disk when you empty the recycle bin.

Dave

Jan 20, 2017 @ 08:52
    Matt Smith

Hi Dave, Thanks for response - the recycle bin has been emptied but the documents are still available so something is going wrong somewhere?

Any thoughts anyone?

Regards, Matt

Jan 30, 2017 @ 09:31
    Matt Smith

Bump...

Anyone else got any ideas?

Thank you

• Sjors Pals 617 posts 270 karma points
    Jan 30, 2017 @ 10:35
    Sjors Pals

Matt, i am pretty sure that in U6 media items do not get deleted physically when deleted in the CMS. I have a high profile client who sometimes run in this problem when PDF's are still indexed by google. I delete those files on the server, and create a removal request by using Google Webmaster tools.

Jan 30, 2017 @ 10:45
    Matt Smith

Thanks Sjors for your reply.

I can use webmaster tools to remove from the google index.

I don't have server permissions but can ask someone who does, I assume they are all just in one big media directory?

many thanks, Matt

Jan 30, 2017 @ 10:53
    Sjors Pals

Yes, they are by default in the media folder, the link has probably a number preceded by the filename, that number is physical folder on the hard drive containing the file.

Jan 30, 2017 @ 10:59
    Matt Smith

Thanks Sjors, much appreciated.

Seems odd that files are not deleted... we have deleted 100s over the life of the site but only a few are still being indexed.

Is there anyway someone can confirm this as if not we'll need to think about how we maintain that directory of files as it could get huge if nothing is ever removed.

Thanks a lot Matt

Jan 30, 2017 @ 11:05
    Sjors Pals

Hi Matt, we had this problem also with one of our clients, they used Umbraco for Real Estate objects with quite large files (up to 70 MB per real estate object), i never implemented it since they left as client, but an example is posted her: https://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/api-questions/4390-Delete-uploaded-files-upon-node-deletion-for-custom-upload-datatype-properties

Jan 30, 2017 @ 11:10
    Matt Smith

That's very useful, thank you :-)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft