Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• aman 13 posts 123 karma points
    Jan 19, 2017 @ 14:55
    aman

How can I get IPublishedContent by doc type?

Hi umbracians,

I am storing some email templates(means samples, do not confuse with umbraco templates) in Umbraco back office. At some point I need to send email using this template(subject, body, cc, bcc, etc).

The problem is that I cannot get this content. When I get it by Id everything works fine. But I do not want to rely on id as it changes and decided to use path and cannot do that. I get NullReferenceException when I execute following:

contentCache.GetByRoute(true, "relative path to email template")

relative path looks like "/settings/emailtemplate/registrationtemplate" Can anyone point me that is the problem as I am new to Umbraco and struggling to understand how should I do certain things.

P.S. Before I was trying to find content be doc type alias but again I could not succeed as I could not figure out what is the relation between IContent and IPublishedContent. I could get from ContentService by doc type id but for auto generated models I need to use IPublishedContent

• Nik 1593 posts 7151 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 19, 2017 @ 16:55
    Nik

Hi Aman,

Is this code executing in a place where you have access to a current Umbraco model. For example within a surface controller?

If you were in a surface controller for example you could do the following:

Umbraco.AssignedContent.Site().Descendents("myDocTypeAlias")

This would return an IEnumerable

If you are trying to access this in a razor view you could do the following:

Model.Content.Site().Decendents("myDocTypeAlias")

Bascially, if you have access to the Umbraco context in a request it should be fairly straight forward to get the documents by Alias.

Word of warning about using Decendents, it can have a negative impact on performance, if you know more details about the structure of your site you might be better to use a mix of things like Decendents and Children to get the information.

Nik

• aman 13 posts 123 karma points
    Jan 20, 2017 @ 08:18
    aman

Hi Nik,

I am getting this error:

Cannot return the IPublishedContent because the UmbracoHelper was constructed with an UmbracoContext and the current request is not a front-end request."`

It seems that it is because I am trying to get content from umbraco api controller. Is there a way to do it?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft