Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ed Parry 64 posts 252 karma points c-trib
    Jan 23, 2017 @ 11:43
    Ed Parry

Difference between Index and Search Providers?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of cleaning up the search functionality on an Umbraco v7 site, and I'm not 100% on the exact differences between the <ExamineIndexProviders> and <ExamineSearchProviders>? It feels like I'm duplicating a lot of code unnecessarily, as at the moment I have one of each, with both of them specifying very similar items.

I get that the index provider is configuring what goes into the index, and the search provider enables us to utilise that index to search against, but is there any more details around the differences, exactly what is needed for each? The documentation feels a little old around Examine at the moment, unless I'm looking in the wrong places?

Thanks!

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Jan 24, 2017 @ 21:28
    Marc Goodson

Hi Ed

Yes the Index provider specifies how the content in the index will be built, and the search providers configure how the indexes will be searched.

Here is documentation on all the possible settings:

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/reference/Config/ExamineSettings/

Examine is very flexible, and allows you to build indexes with certain analysers and rules but then use different rules to search - but in a simple search scenario in Umbraco the settings will be pretty similar on the IndexProvider and on the SearchProvider.

regards

Marc

• Ed Parry 64 posts 252 karma points c-trib
    Jan 31, 2017 @ 22:54
    Ed Parry

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the response, and for clearing up the differences between the two provider types! It certainly looks like that for 90% of use cases they only need to be quite basic, with more going on in the code to make use of them rather than configuring them.

Thanks again! Ed

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft