Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michael Harper 23 posts 134 karma points
    Jan 25, 2017 @ 09:24
    Michael Harper

Best hosting for Umbraco (as a small dev business)

I'm thinking of starting a small web dev business and was wondering what would be the best way to host client sites? I obviously want a good mixture of performance and affordability.

I currently have shared hosting but I imagine this won't be sufficient for small medium businesses.

My experience with azure is it's expensive unless you are building high traffic stuff that needs to scale etc.

Would you recommend something like a vps?

Thanks

• Michaël Vanbrabandt 863 posts 3348 karma points c-trib
    Jan 25, 2017 @ 09:40
    Michaël Vanbrabandt

Hi Michael,

I am using a VPS ( Virtual Private Server ) hosted by TransIP: https://www.transip.be/

So basically you run your own webserver with full controll and the prices are really good. You can have a VPS Windows Server 2012 for only 17euro and the first month you have 5euro discount.

Go and check it out and if you have questions they have a really good support team!

Hope this helps.

/Michaël

• Nik 1591 posts 7148 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 25, 2017 @ 09:43
    Nik

Hi Michael,

I guess it depends on how much you are looking to charge. The Umbraco Cloud is a great, relatively low cost, hosting option, the lowest price point I think is approximately £25 pcm for a single Umbraco instance.

However, if you want to charge on less to your clients, then an option could be to have your own VPS which you install your Umbraco instances on. However then you need to think about scale-ability etc.

Nik

Jan 25, 2017 @ 16:28
    Michael Harper

I think I'll look into a VPS initially - I guess if I find a client that wants more performance and the ability to scale Umbraco cloud is another option.

Thanks guys

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 25, 2017 @ 23:36
    Paul Seal

Hi Michael I use eUKhost. They are brilliant. http://www.codeshare.co.uk/hosting

Their 1st tier VPS is good enough for hosting many Umbraco sites. I'm on their 2nd tier one now called VPS Standard as I wanted more hard drive space.

enter image description here

Jan 26, 2017 @ 09:46
    Michael Harper

Hi Paul,

Enjoying your bootstrap - umbraco series btw!

With the VPS can you have 'unlimited' sites? also regarding SQL, do you get one server and just add a database per site?

Thanks

• Paul Seal 524 posts 2889 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 10:26
    Paul Seal

Hi Michael

I'm glad you're enjoying the series.

I don't know how many sites you can have on it, but I've got about 6 umbraco sites running on mine. 40GB space spare.

It never seems to fall over. Very reliable and fast service.

I've got SQL Express 2014 on it, so no need for a second server for the database.

Cheers

Paul

• Victor 25 posts 152 karma points
    May 24, 2018 @ 11:10
    Victor

Hello all,

Sorry if I resurrect a 1 yo topic. I've been looking for the best way to use a VPS and manage e-mail addresses for each client (eg: [email protected], [email protected] etc.). How do you guys provide the e-mail functionality using VPS or do you and you pick other email providers?

I'd like to mention that I'm into the documentation phase of the issue and have close to 0 experience to VPS environments.

Cheers Victor

May 25, 2018 @ 09:42
    Michael Harper

Hi Victor,

The VPS I use (eukhost) allows you to set up mailboxes for each domain as part of the package.

Some clients have experienced issues with spam and general setup however.

These days I try to guide people to something like google's gsuite which connects domain names to the power of gmail - starts at something like £3:30/mo

• Victor 25 posts 152 karma points
    May 25, 2018 @ 10:13
    Victor

That's awesome info. Thanks a ton for you support. I've looked into the Google service as well and seems to be the best approach.

Thanks a ton Michael!

May 25, 2018 @ 10:15
    Michael Harper

No problem Victor,

Something like gsuite is the best option, especially if you guide the client through setting it up and they pay for it themselves - one less thing to worry about as a developer :D

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft