Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Bird 6 posts 76 karma points
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 14:12
    Mark Bird

Cannot publish Umbraco site

I've inherited a new Umbraco project and have no prior experience of Umbraco (but am a C# developer) - I cannot even get it to publish at the moment.

The project was compiling and running on my local machine, but if I publish it to a server running IIS7 I get the error "The type or namespace name 'createsend_dotnet' could not be found".

I noticed that there were a lot of folders in the solution that were not included in the project, so I thought maybe that was the issue, but having included the missing folders the project won't even compile on my local machine any more, now I get over 1000 errors about duplicate attributes e.g. PureLiveAssembly, ModelsBuilderAssembly and many more, which are coming from some auto-generated files under App_Data.

I realise this is probably not a lot to go on but this project is supposed to go live in 2 weeks and I haven't got a clue what I'm doing and have no other developers to work with, so any help would be appreciated.

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 15:10
    Jamie Pollock

Hey Mark,
    Not sure I can provide a solution but it'd be helpful to know which specifically what version of Umbraco you're running on, it sounds like it's 7.4+.

Also the createsend_dotnet error is coming from a third party library, https://github.com/campaignmonitor/createsend-dotnet, rather than Umbraco itself. Working out that reference might help.

As for this:

PureLiveAssembly, ModelsBuilderAssembly and many more, which are coming from some auto-generated files under App_Data.

This is Umbraco ModelsBuilder. I don't have any experience with using it personally, but you might find some help over on this forum topic. It essentially turns Umbraco content into strongly typed objects.

Personally, I'd suggest trying to get the project up and running as a Web Application and using nuget packages if you're not using the Umbraco Cloud hosted service. You can find information about this kind of setup over on the setup documentation.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this point.

Thanks,
    Jamie

Jan 26, 2017 @ 15:29
    Mark Bird

Thanks! It's Umbraco 7.5.6.

I'll have a look at the forum topic. I'm not sure why the createsend-dotnet library is being included or if it's even being used, but maybe I can remove it. I'm not sure why the project was compiling fine locally but the published version was missing files. The previous developer did tell me he had trouble using the publish functionality and had to copy the files to the staging server manually, which does seem to indicate that there's something wrong with the solution somewhere, because it seems like other people are able to use the publish feature in VS on Umbraco sites.

• Jamie Pollock 174 posts 853 karma points c-trib
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 15:33
    Jamie Pollock

Ahhh so fairly new. That's good news! I'm not sure how you're publishing the site. In previous places I've worked we used msbuild and built a package to deploy, which is based off the csproj and any nuget packages included in the solution.

Whenever there were files that weren't included as part of the crproj file we'd have a

I'm probably going off on a tangent here...

Good luck with getting it deployed. Any other questions let me know, and I'll see if I can be of help.

• Marc Love (uSkinned.net) 432 posts 1691 karma points
    Feb 02, 2017 @ 14:05
    Marc Love (uSkinned.net)

Hi Mark,

The installation file supplied with a uSkinned theme which is available via the members area gives you information on all files that should be included with a solution when publishing from Visual Studio.

Cheers,

Marc

Feb 02, 2017 @ 15:02
    Mark Bird

Thanks a lot Marc, I wasn't logged in to the site so I didn't realise there was more documentation under a different area - I didn't set up the theme, it was a previous developer who's left, so I'll need to try and get hold of our login details and have a look.

• Steve Morgan 1346 posts 4453 karma points c-trib
    Feb 02, 2017 @ 15:06
    Steve Morgan

Hi Mark,

Sounds like you've included, into the solution, the autogenerated Models under App_Data/Models. ... don't!

HTH

Steve

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft