Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• WebDeveloper 3 posts 72 karma points
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 19:17
    WebDeveloper

URL Culture & Hostnames - One Level Paths should be avoided?

Under Umbraco's Culture and Hostnames there is the following warning posted: One-level paths in domains are supported, eg. "example.com/en". However, they should be avoided. Better use the culture setting above.

Can someone please advise why they should be avoided? We would like to use www.url.com/folder to prevent caching issues however if it will cause more issues to use one level paths, then can that be explained and what an alternative might be?

Please see screenshot with blue highlighted text: enter image description here

Thank you!

• Nicolai 48 posts 201 karma points
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 20:24
    Nicolai

Honestly, I would also go for the One-level paths in domains. I dont know why they advise to go against it. For caching and user login authorization it is much easier to handle example.com/en, example.com/fr.

On my own ASP.NET web application im using this. It is not Umbraco tho.

An old explanation of umbraco culture methods, but still seems viable, can be found here: culture and hostnames difference

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Jan 26, 2017 @ 23:08
    Dan Diplo

Hmmm. I've always used the example.com/en, example.com/ one level domains for multilingual sites and not had any issue. I use this in conjunction with the culture settings. I'm sure this warning never used to appear and I'm curious to why it suddenly has?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft