Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• MATT COULTER 10 posts 92 karma points
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 18:09
    MATT COULTER

Authenticating with Active Directory credentials

Now that I'm slightly more familiar with Umbraco and am on a more recent version than the WebMatrix installer provides, I'm finding that I may not need an extra package to auth with AD credentials:

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Security/#authenticating-with-active-directory-credentials

Can anybody provide a bit more context to how this authentication is done in version 7.5.8? This sentence is less than helpful to someone new to Umbraco...

"you can just use Umbraco.Core.Security.ActiveDirectoryBackOfficeUserPasswordChecker and then ...:"

What exactly is needed to "just use" this method?

Thanks!

• Micha Somers 134 posts 597 karma points
    Feb 03, 2017 @ 18:33
    Micha Somers

It means that you can skip step 2 in: https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Security/#authenticating-with-active-directory-credentials

and for step 3, instead of MyPasswordChecker, you can use the already defined ActiveDirectoryBackOfficeUserPasswordChecker.

Feb 03, 2017 @ 19:42
    MATT COULTER

Hi Micha, thanks for that comment.

I'm an Umbraco noob and I think this is in a "getting started" forum, so I'm not ashamed to ask some dumb questions...

Is the installation of the UmbracoIdentityExtensions package even needed since we don't need any OAuth extensions? Again we're in an enterprise AD environment.

Is anyone willing to help me document the steps needed to get simple AD auth working from a fresh 7.5.8 umbraco install?

• Micha Somers 134 posts 597 karma points
    Feb 04, 2017 @ 09:36
    Micha Somers

Hi Matt,

Certainly not a dumb question ...

Actually, I also don't know what is exactly needed to get AD authentication working in Umbraco 7.5.8 without OAuth.

It's not even clear to me if some of the alternatives (like Active Directory Providers) that worked before version 7.3 are still working for later versions.

Looking at some related posts here and here it sounds like there are some tricky things involved to make it work.

Hopefully some experts on this topic can help you further!

Feb 07, 2017 @ 21:19
    MATT COULTER

Micha,

I have "hit up" the Umbraco team members listed as contacts for the documentation and asked for some clarification on this. Actually I suggested that the 7.5.0+ docs be broken out separately because the methods seem different.

I'll update here as appropriate. But if anyone has implemented this AD authentication in 7.5 or newer and are willing to share how they did it, I'm all ears!

• Tommy Enger 72 posts 277 karma points c-trib
    Mar 30, 2017 @ 08:18
    Tommy Enger

Hi Matt,

Did you get the AD authentication up and running?

Mar 30, 2017 @ 12:42
    MATT COULTER

Hi Tommy,

I never did get the native Umbraco AD auth working. But I did get it working through this extension:

Umbraco Back Office Active Directory ASP.Net Provider

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/umbraco-back-office-active-directory-aspnet-provider/

• Dan Patching 31 posts 158 karma points c-trib
    Jul 06, 2017 @ 08:13
    Dan Patching

Hi Matt,

Frederik Raabye did a talk about AD integration with Umbraco at Codegarden. He did a demo of how to set it up. There's a link to the video on the page below. I've been meaning to have a go myself.

https://codegarden17.com/sessions/authentication-and-sign-on-scenarios-with-umbraco/

Hope that's helpful.

Dan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft